Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Tidal Fish SUPER Commercial Subscriber
10,897 Posts
After 6 long days of waiting for the wind to stop blowin', sittin' onshore chompin' at the bit - Oh what a beautiful day in the Atlantic Ocean today! Warm temperatures, slick calm (pronounced "cam" seas), and a great crew made for an enjoyable voyage. Today we did a put together (a/k/a "walk on") trip for a total of 9 anglers. We had an extremely disappointing total of 5 cancellations and no shows - so all I can say to you fellas is - "YOU BLEW IT"! This was our 25th extreme long range deep drop adventure of the 2007 campaign. Mr. T.J. Reiber of NOVA served as 1st Mate today.

We exceeded our forbidden contraband tally of the last voyage with a veritable bevy of Bananas of all shapes and sizes. They were in coolers. They were in lunch boxes. They were in pockets, jackets, overalls, and slicks. I think this crew must have stock in Dole. Oh my GAWD! What part of NO BANANAS do people NOT understand? What does a guy have to do - search coolers???

ONE MORE TRY...
No Bananas
No Banana byproducts
No Banana containing foods or items
No using the B word
No Banana Hammocks
No Banana Nuttin!

The banana curse was in full swing with horrifying Spiny Dawg Sharks, tangles, snags, and undersized Black Sea Bass (released). The curse consumed us. So, we once again chanted and performed the anti banana curse exorcism ritual. We even added the Imus in the Morning Cupi Doll effigy to our routine of handling snakes, playing Moody Blues albums backwards, and the repeated recital of Rosie "I never met a spoon I didn't like" O'Donnell's name. We spoke in tongues, turned the boat around three times and The Curse was gone. I think I'm gonna patent this ritual.

The crew rallied, beat The Curse and caught an impressive 61 rotund Blueline Tilefish up to a whopping 15 pounds 7 ounces (including 2 VA weight citations - see below) and 75 obese keeper Black Sea Bass up to 4 pounds 10 ounces. Another near disaster narrowly avoided. Don't play with The Curse, you'll get burned!

VA Blueline Tilefish Weight Citations
Mr. Anthony Williams of Cumberland, VA - 15 pounds 7ounces
Ms. Mary Greene of Chesterfield, VA - 12 pounds 11 ounces

[ pictures to follow ]

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've been reading about the dreaded Bananas on several posts and am just currious about the origins of this "curse." What gives??? So that us new guys will understand and appreciate the finer points and avoid the dreaded Banana curse.:helpsmilie:

·
Banned
329 Posts
It's something that Capt Jim firmly believes in ..... some other captains do as well especially the big-game offshore group. Then there are others who believe that the banana-curse is nothing but a fools-tale.

There are many explanations for this tale but the most plausible is the one describing 17th century New World explorers from England, Spain and France who, after a 3-month voyage would stop in the Caribbean Islands for water, food and rest. After a few weeks on these foreign lands, often exposed to strange diseases, especially mosquito borne diseases, the crew re-boarded their vessel loaded with water and fruits, including bananas. After a few days/weeks, the infectious disease took hold and made much of the crew sick, dead or incapacitated. Knowing little of infectious disease, they often blamed the foods that they were eating - bananas.

Personally, my best charter ever took 8 trophy red drum in a single 3 hour period 2 years ago. When returning to port, I discovered that the sporties had a 72qt cooler of bananas. Go figure...

Chris

·
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh sure, you guys keep on Pooh Pooing The Curse. You'll see...
It's real, very real. I've learned the hard way. Thank Gawd for the anti-Banana curse rituals or it would be the end of the world as we know it...and I feel fine...

Just like antibiotics, the rituals will weaken as the Banana curse strengthens. The rituals must always be used sparingly and judiciously. This is a very grave situation and fate must not be tempted.

LEAVE THE BANANAS ASHORE!!!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
My "nanner" story:

April 1997, two Saturdays in a row.

Me and a Navy bud of mine Scott smoked checked tog a BIG gator trout in behind the 4th island. Just magical days for sure. So another bud from work....Don, want's in on that action. I say ok, next weekend. So we get up there at sunrise and proceeded to get skunked. Not even a sniff for five hours. So Don sits down to take a lunch break. So......what do you think he pulls out of his lunch pale? Yup, the dreaded nanner. :eek2: So I yelled WTF Don!!!!!!:nono:
The nanner curse hung to him/us for awhile. We always did crappy when he fished on my boat for the next two years.

I'M A BELIEVER!!!!!:death:

·
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh I'm not the only one knowledgeable about The Curse...it's not just me, VA, MD, etc. It's the ENTIRE WORLD! Check this out fom La Paz:

The superstition and folk lore related to bananas and fishing, the bad luck banana story.

I like this part:

"Conversely, I have seen the ocean suddenly come alive when bananas are thrown overboard. I have seen all manners of bad luck turn 180 degrees when the bananas get trashed! Some anglers (like me) are so convinced about bananas that I'd really rather you not only leave the bananas back at the docks, but also keep the Banana Boat sunscreen, your banana flavored lip balm, your banana chips and banana candy off of my boat! If you can afford to change your underwear, I'd really even prefer you not wear your Fruit-Of-the-Looms on my boat either! I mean it... I don't understand it, but I make my living trying to get YOU and your amigos onto fish and I´d prefer you not make my day any harder! Don't laugh... this stuff is for real!"

"

·
Registered
389 Posts
There'll be no bananas on my boat. I have a hard enough time catching fish without taking a chance.:fishing2:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts