Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that a 4 stroke needs the oil changed every 100 hrs. and costs about $100? I don't know if that's the serviced price or DIY price for oil & parts? That's about $1 per hr. for every hr. run, regardless of rpm or fuel consumed.. Under warranty, can you , the owner perform this? What other maintenance/ costs must be performed?

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Yes the owner can maintain his engine. this does not affect your warranty, oil changes , lubrication, spark plug changes etc. just follow the recomended interval & keep the documentation updated, I have 4 suzuki 4 strokes . 2 of them are still under warranty,, 6 qts of oil & a filter & gasket costs less than $40 each motor, the recomended interval is 100 hrs on these motors for oil changes, a simple process for anyone.
none of my Zukes has ever needed warranty repairs, or been in the shop for any other repairs.

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. What horse power are your engines? I have a friend that runs from the Patapsco to the South river,runs a trotline all day then returns to the Patapsco on 15 gal. wirh a 21 Carolina Skiff w/115 Zuke

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
We have 3 -115's and a 60, oldest is a 2001 with over 2500 hrs still runs strong & dependable,average fuel burn for a day of crabbing is 6 gallons for the 115's, my crab boats are heavy & loaded, 15 gallons seems like a lot but I guess it depends on how it is run & how much junk is carried,,, the 60 is on a pontoon boat, we never shut our motors down unless we beach or anchor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was recommended to use only in my case Yamaha oil filters and not aftermarket same as the oil Yamalube and your warranty will be good. First oil change at 30 hours there after every 100 hrs. Trick is if your stacking most your hours at a troll speed get a kicker 9.9 or something like that to put the hours on which will save the life on your large main engine and reduce the amount of times you need to service the engine over the season.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts