Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, we all have non-fishing pursuits. No one-trick ponies around here right?

I took my 12 year old over to St. Mary's lake for some mountain biking. He's been digging it and it's been a ball teaching him about balance, momentum etc. Plus I've been rekindling some long atrophied skills over the last few months.

Maybe.

The lake has a really nice 7.5 mile singletrack trail around the perimeter. Some smooth sections, some mud sections, some technical and some moderate climbs. Really a hidden jewel in southern Maryland that gets very little use.

There's an 8 inch wide plank across the St. Mary's river that you have to carry your bike across. Look at this kid - he's a horse. He gives me a run for my money, no doubt.

Anyway - I was showing him how to cross some terrain and I got the bright idea to set him up with the camera while I jumped this creek. Piece of cake right? I've done stuff like this a hundred times....well yeah, it's been a while, but no problem.

Yes - That's a face plant. An "endo" in Mtn bike parlance. Of course I heard a crack when it happened.

Andrew came over laughing his butt off until he realized I still hadn't moved.

And strangely, my neck felt better than it had in years. No pain at all. In fact I couldn't feel it. Oh ****.

But I rolled over. I could move my head. I sat up and picked the bank gravel out of my neck.

I unpretzled the handlebars, had a gritty sip of water from the mud-encrusted water bottle and we finished our ride.

2 Aleves and a couple of IPAs and everything seems alright. I guess I'll know in the morning.

I think I'll go down and overhaul a reel or something....

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Ouch

Pax....stick to Feeshin', it's safer.:D

That looks like at least a 12 pack of IPAs worth of pain.

You know that your grandkid's are gonna hear about this one. It is a memory your son will never forget....argh.

Tight Lines,
Jim

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Chris,

That stuff keeps you young! I paddle whitewater kayak and I mtn bike when I am not fishing and crabbing, great stuff especially in the off season. I have had my share of bike wipeouts, but never had one captured on film--nice endo!!! I had a nice one this year a lot like that, over the bars and into a creek, but I was alone and it was not captured on film.

Keep up the good fun.

-Steve

·
Registered
50 Posts
Did that last year on my four wheeler flying across a field (upstate Pa), hit a chuck hole, over the handlebars onto the field and filled my helmet with mud so I couldn't breathe. My son (a cop) quickly cut my helmet off. He thought I was dead for a second. My neck still hurts and I'm 53!!! IMy wife tells her friends, "He may be getting old but he'll never grow up" Paul

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Great post paxfish! :D LOL

Looks like the young man has an eye for great shots. Maybe hide the camera from him next time ;) Glad you didn't break anything.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
6,372 Posts
Pax you probably will feel it tomorrow ouch,sorry there bud.What an action shot.It did add spice to a slow Winter TF day I'dIPA again just to be sure.:)

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
You were lucky. I pulled one of those stunts when my son raced BMX. I decided to try the "killer-doubles" while the son put on his body armour. I did a face plant after lauching about 20ft high and working the bike like my motorcycle, landed on the front wheel. I got out of shock trauma after a few days and now keep the wheels on on the ground. Now I get quarterly spine injections for life. Tough getting old.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Hey Pax, that's funny! I'm glad you didn't hurt though, as it could have been serious. I tried that last year with riding dirt bikes.

I hit a deep mud hole,:eek: flipped the bike and got planted into the ground. I tore the ligaments in my thumb :( and had to have a screw put in my thumb to re-attached the ligaments.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Glad you were able to get up from your wreck. If you didn't have a helmet on the result most likely would not have been the same. Hope you are still ok tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
26,184 Posts
You should have erased the camera when you had the chance:D Those photos (quite good) are going to come back to haunt you.Your son has a free pass for his next crazy stunt-all he has to say is:Well -dad thought it would work.:p Since you didn't get hurt (real bad) I guess we can laugh at it.:) Skip

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
250 Posts
Pax,
Sure glad you are ok. I can tell you that I'm famous around my house for hurting myself will romping with the kids. But let me think, good day outside, these are the family memories that will live a lifetime.
Bobby

·
Registered
424 Posts
Not a fishing report.....But a good read and great pics:D

Pax, I hope you don't feel any after effects (physically) tomorrow cause your son will be inflicting the thoughts of that face plant for the rest of your life.:D :D

Hope your alright in the morning.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Pax; Glad you weren't hurt bad. Shows thr importance of wearing a helmet. I turned my 4-wheeler over going down a steep bank into 2'of water. Not hurt but soaked in 40* weather. My son, who was with me still wont let me forget it. He was 40 at the time. Seems like your never too old to do something stupid. George.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Been there, done that on the bicycle. Was never fortunate enough to get my picture taken though! That's an excellent photo, glad your alright

1 - 20 of 29 Posts