Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I can remember I've held to the notion that it's always worth it to go fishing, even if it's just to get in a few minutes on the water. I thought I was going to get out before 2:00 PM this evening but a flat on the truck, a dead battery on the boat, and very low water at the launch ramp put me way behind. I finally go off the back side of Kent Island about 4:30, almost sunset. I headed out to the same area where I found fish last week, but no working birds anywhere. Just a few lonely gulls here and there. I ran for a few minutes but it was getting dark fast so I decided if I was going to fish, I'd better do it soon. I moved over a hump that I know to be an oyster reef and marked a little bait, so started fishing. My first cast went at a 45 degree angle to the outgoing current into the wind. The wind pushed the boat against the current and I popped the orange-dipped 6" pearl hardnose along at about the same speed as the tide. I was having a hard time feeling the bottom with a 1 once jig head but was tuning in by watching my rod tip. Just as the lure passed the boat I got a little tap. I set the hook hard mostly out of surprise and was even more astonished when my rod took two long dips, sign of a big fish. I remembered that I hadn't checked the drag since passing my Revo around at the meeting Monday night, but fortunately it was still pretty close. The fish came in at a very wide 38 & 3/4 inches. I had time for two more drifts, got one more strike and marked a couple more fish. I'm going to guess that there's still some nice fish around in the upper bay despite the lack of working birds. Gonna try to get back after them tomorrow, hopefully with a little more time to fish.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
I think you're right, it's always worth it.

Nice fish. Do you ever keep any?

-JB

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Nice Shawn, sorry I missed ya Monday. Has'nt been the greatest fishing weather the past couple of days. Glad to see you get out. I dont have any kind of game plan yet.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
That's an hour more then I got to go today and 100% more fish. Good to see there still around the UB. Hopefully I'll be able to find them Sunday morning.

Andy

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Thanks for the report Shawn. While I'm impressed, the pic fails to show the enthusiasim of your crew. Fish and mate are both beauts..
It's gotta be sweet on LT ;-)

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Beautiful fish! You are one fish catching machine. I think you must have a striper painted on the bottom of your boat! :). Keep up the good posts.
Les

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Very nice Shawn, some of my favorite trips are those 30 minute to 1 hour trips when I have time between household duties and dinner right at twilight...way to go!

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Shawn thats a nice fish there. I hope to have a post of a Tarpon,Dolphin or some Sail's on Sunday from sunny south Florida.:D

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Nice Shawn. Your reports keep my itch alive, 1 More Rock. A short fishin' trip with a good friend is always worth it!

·
Registered
680 Posts
SHAWN - That's a beee-yout!!!!

I see you have your fishin' buddy along.

Doesn't look like he gets excited anymore -- a sign that you catch A LOT of fish!

My dog goes nuts -- what does that tell you.

Really wish I could have come to your presentation -- 2-1/2 hours each way puts the kabash on all the informative fishing presentations going on during the week.

Nice job - thanks for the post.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Great job!! I feel the same way. I'll drive an hour just to get in an hour fishing. It's always worth it.

Croket is saying, "ah dad, it's just another pig fall striper, what are you so happy about...., catch me a little one so I can eat it."

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Sweeet fish Shawn and way to go with squeezing in those last few casts to find a nice one.:thumbup: Wish I lived closer to the Bay.:wacko: ....Don

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am honestly starting to believe Mr. Kimbro could walk into the Annapolis Mall, cast a dirty sock into the 8" deep fountain by California Pizza Kitchen, and yank out a 45" Rockfish within 3 casts...

I'd almost put money on it...

Unreal, man...Unreal...

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Nice cow you got there Shawn. Thanks for the invite tonight......:thumbup:
I know what you mean about those batteries.......my boat was a little slow to crank tonight.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Really nice Shawn...headed out this am...got a "crew".John Pearce...Uncle Phil and Jonboat48.........this should be good............:eek2:

·
Premium Member
26,108 Posts
45 minutes- you call that a fishing trip ? :D Takes me that long just to put out all the rods :pp.

WTG - I think those fish are becoming your pets :yes:.They wait for you each night :D.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts