Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woke up at 3:45 and checked fish weather app. Looked a little iffy. Called for 13 mph winds from the north and blowing stronger between 9 and noon. Plus now showed showers all day whereas yesterday it only showed showers for a few hours. Texted the crew to see how they felt. Message came back, "Bought the subs last night so we need to go." Ok, we're going. Got my boy up and left the house by 4:30.

Going out of the marina by 6:30. Headed directly to our last good spot from Friday. Instantly started marking fish. We weren't alone this time. Multiple charter boats were around trolling. Also noticed at least one other rec boat who appeared to be jigging or maybe chumming. It was pretty snotty out there. Boat was really rocking taking the wind and waves on the beam drifting.

A little slower start this time but one guy hooks up on a bucktail after about 15 minutes. A throw back. Then he got another within 5 minutes. Same guy hooked up on 5 fish and boated all five before anybody else got a bite. I was working the pink BA as was my son also. My boy hooked up but I couldn't get a bite. One other guy on the crew started catching also. Finally I switched over to the bucktail as well. Then I started catching. We made a second drift and the catching was slower than Friday but still OK. Then one of the guys hooks up on a good one. Good long fight but finally boated a 31". Nice! His personal best on the jig, beating his best from Friday. The later part of the 2nd drift was slow. We started headed back for the 3rd drift, at 10 mph due to the fierce chop, when we saw birds not far off. We ran over there, set up above them and drifted in to them. Great marks, the screen lit up and bam, the 2 other guys and my boy are hooked up. Triple, yes! I couldn't get the bite to make a quad but no complaints. After that was cleared out and 2 more mid 20's in the box and 1 throw back, then I hooked up. Taking drag, heavy head pumps. After a good 5 minute fight got it in the boat. Yes, another 31" fish. Tie-ing my best from Friday.

We made 2 more drifts on these fish and decided to call it quits, it was 10:30 now and we were tired of getting beat up. All morning was raining off and on with a steady stiff wind and plenty of chop. Someone stopped by after we made our first drift on the birds but I didn't catch there name. They were jigging as well it looked like, I guess looking for intel. Somebody let me know who that was, I was busy when they pulled up and didn't get a chance to talk but they moved off pretty quick.

The chartreuse and white 1 oz bucktail dressed with a 4" chartreuse BA was the king today. In all we caught 23 fish. 2 at 31", most were low 20's fish though with a few shorts mixed in. The pink BA with a white 3/4 oz head still word but was not as productive today.

All in all was a great jigging day again but we really pushed ourselves staying out as long as we did in the weather. Heard very little complaints from my boy who is only 8 years old. He caught 5 fish, the biggest was a 24". He was very pleased and of course I was ecstatic. Was great watching him roll in fish, putting the rod in the rod holder and reeling them in because he couldn't hold the rod long enough for the fights.

IMG_3745.jpg

Sorry not many pics but it was tough just standing up. Messed up the GoPro video so that didn't happen either.

·
Registered
14,082 Posts
That weather is tough on a man much less an 8 year old boy. He's a tough one and a good fisherman too. Good job...... Gary

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Kevin,
R U keeping your boat at the Casa Rio?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Johnnyo, not yet. Long story short, got personal stuff going on, lack of the storage funds right now. I'm hoping in a few more weeks I can keep it there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts