Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Consolidated Chesapeake Bay & Coastal Sport Boat License allows everyone on board a vessel used for pleasure to fish in the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries and the state waters of the Atlantic Ocean and the Atlantic coastal bays and tributaries in lieu of individual licenses. However, these individuals must register with the Department (see below). A special complimentary Bay & Coastal sport fishing license

Key Change in 2011---Passengers on a Vessel displaying a Consolidated Chesapeake Bay & Coastal Sport Boat License must register ALL ANGLERS
Question ? What time will phone be Manned for outa state Angler Buddies???W/O the licence

--Do Commonwealth & Delaware boat Passengers need To Register ?--ETC>ETC.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
LarryC,

From the website above it sounds like your wife is covered to go fishing with the print out:

"Carry your MD/PRFC Saltwater Angler Registration with you while fishing as proof of compliance."

I think the issue of concern that was raised is related to the text below:

"If you do not print your MD/PRFC Saltwater Angler Registration at time of submission, you will not be able to reprint in the future. If you experience difficulty using the Maryland Saltwater Angler Registry and need assistance, email us for a response during normal business hours."

The email contact at MD DNR for a response to difficulties is:
[email protected] and the email subject should be "Maryland Saltwater Angler Registry"

·
Registered
234 Posts
still a joke why make everyone register on my boat .... if anything the boat owner ( $50.00 licence holder) should be the one that has to keep this info for whatever they ask ....... correct me if i am wrong if boat gets checked and there is illegal fish on board who gets the fine ? last time i checked it was the owner of the 50 buck licence .... Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
959 Posts
What happens if you've already registered people under the NAtional SW registry that was free last year and is now 15 per person.
MAryland lining themselves up to collect more revenue? Bad enough we can't write off our fuel burned on the water like VA can.

Not to get super sidetracked, but why should we pay taxes in fuel that go to roadway use and reap no benefit on the water.

·
Registered
734 Posts
After i got my boat license, had a buddy sign up. Do they mail you a card like they did last year, or is the paper you print out the only thing you get? I also noticed on the paper it seemed like it was only good for the state of MD, yet it was a National registration. If you register through one state, why wouldn't it be good in another? The Feds would have your number to conduct the fishing surveys. Wasn't that the purpose of the National registration?

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My Basic Question was

there is no phone in option. It is a CF. Must have internet acces and PRINT out the form w/ regist # THey ought to make you just produce the # not the piece of paper!
--Your & friends are waiting For Johnny come Lately A$$hole from Pa. its 0530 when he gets to the boat , & He forgot to Register , Do ya leave him on the Dock or WHAT ?

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Look Guys, DNR worked hard to make sure there was a way for Maryland anglers to register with NOAA free when they bought their license. Passengers still need to register too, but they can also do it for free at the DNR website.

George, There is no funding to pay a person to man phones for people who screw up. You want free registration? Or you want to pay for registration in order to be able to fund Johnny-come-lately?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
What happens if you've already registered people under the NAtional SW registry that was free last year and is now 15 per person.
MAryland lining themselves up to collect more revenue? Bad enough we can't write off our fuel burned on the water like VA can.

Not to get super sidetracked, but why should we pay taxes in fuel that go to roadway use and reap no benefit on the water.
Tell us more about this. Are you saying that in VA, any fuel I use while recreational boating can somehow be written off my taxes?
Pat in Joppa

·
Registered
959 Posts
Yes, Go ask some folks on the VA board. Each year they save their gas receipts and use them during taxes. I am unsure how much they write off, but I believe it is common knowledge.

Also, Isn't that why diesel is cheaper on the water some times? They die the diesel a certain color and say, illegal for road use, thus, the fuel is earmarked for boating and not on the road?

Goinfishin, that makes me feel a little better, but I'd be curious to see exactly where the tax money is spent in MAryland for the water resource.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
From the NOAA Fisheries website, https://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/register/ ,
"Starting January 1, 2011, if you have a saltwater recreational fishing license or registration
from any state or U.S. territory EXCEPT Hawaii, New Jersey, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin
Islands, you are AUTOMATICALLY registered and do not need to take further action.",
and further down on the same site:
"You can also register by calling (888) MRIP-411 seven days-a-week
between the hours of 4:00 am and 12:00 am (EST)".

From reading further, if you don't have a license, or only have a freshwater license, but plan to fish saltwater then you need to be registered.....including guests who may not regularly fish at all and are just coming out for a day......but if they havn't done it online beforehand it's gonna cost them $15......
Maryland has made no provision for call-ins that I can find.

So the next question is who is held responsible? The captain/owner of the vessel or the individual angler?

What a CF......another case of too much government intrusion in our daily lives.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
OK, they get to write off the road taxes paid up front to fuel an off-road vehicle. Gotcha. And, yes, off road diesel fuel(red, I think) is not subjected to the same taxes as on-road, and may even have a different formulation, though that may be a historical recollection not applicable today.
Pat in Joppa

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Goinfishin, that makes me feel a little better, but I'd be curious to see exactly where the tax money is spent in MAryland for the water resource.
Google Maryland Waterway Improvement Fund.......lots of info.
It is used to fund water access, repairs and maintenance to public facilities, boater education and safety programs, maintenance of state maintained navigation aids, dredging of non-federal channels, and a lot more.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
From the NOAA Fisheries website, https://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/register/ ,
"Starting January 1, 2011, if you have a saltwater recreational fishing license or registration
from any state or U.S. territory EXCEPT Hawaii, New Jersey, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin
Islands, you are AUTOMATICALLY registered and do not need to take further action.",
and further down on the same site:
"You can also register by calling (888) MRIP-411 seven days-a-week
between the hours of 4:00 am and 12:00 am (EST)".

From reading further, if you don't have a license, or only have a freshwater license, but plan to fish saltwater then you need to be registered.....including guests who may not regularly fish at all and are just coming out for a day......but if they havn't done it online beforehand it's gonna cost them $15......
Maryland has made no provision for call-ins that I can find.

So the next question is who is held responsible? The captain/owner of the vessel or the individual angler?

What a CF......another case of too much government intrusion in our daily lives.
Registration is an individual requirement. You cannot be held liable for the actions of others. Akin to arresting the driver of the car as a draft dodger becouse Jr. in the back seat didn't register for the draft.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Tell us more about this. Are you saying that in VA, any fuel I use while recreational boating can somehow be written off my taxes?
Pat in Joppa
17 cents per gallon. Each receipt must be for at least five gallons, and the claim must be filed within 12 months from the date the fuel was purchased. Must submit orginal recepits and must retain copies of the receipts for 4 years.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts