Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't fish gotta do something.
Reason for more large stripers on the flats this year?Some years you did not hear of a 50lb one caught.I've heard of 5 over 50 caught
Is it the stocks are better?
Was the birth year for them really good?
What are your thoughts on this subject?
Depresssssd Les:helpsmilie:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yea, Les this weather blows... literally. Good queston, I would suggest maybe because the C&R boundry extends further up the Susquehanna River? More guys going up there w/bait?

·
Registered
700 Posts
I would say the change in boundry. The big girls are following the shad and herring. Personally I doubt that the DNR will let you fish in the Susky after this year.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've also been wondering this question and my only thought might be we'd better check calibration onthe scales or provide pictures for proof. I don't doubt they are there every year and would probably be caught on bait quicker than lures but I'm doubting this early or last week or even the week before. My understanding was always the big fish or cows showed up after May 3rd! If I see a picture I'll believe everyone. For those who can't post a picture I'm sorry for doubting it yet!

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Les-

I do not think it has anything to do with the numbers of big fish. The schools of big fish are smaller in VA and NC every winter. There are still enough for it to be fun but the actual size of those schools of big fish is not what it was several years ago.

The reason more 50's have been caught this year has been mentioned. More guys are fishing bait up river this year. Some have been caught on lures up there too. When lots of water is running, the big fish are still in the river.

·
Registered
155 Posts
it might have to do with the year 93 or 96 class of fish getting into that size range... there may be fewer of that year class left, but they should be pretty big by now

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I agree, bait fishing in the river. I used to fish up in the river exclusively this time of year and know first hand that theyre in there. I dont doubt it for a second. I dont bait fish or troll for em so I guess Im at a handicap. Oh well, got out Saturday and got a few niceuns on lures. including a 22# on topwater. May be it for a while with the mud coming. Lets hope for the best.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Les,

I do not have the answer, but I did see a 50lb. fish caught up the river on a lure last week.

I also saw pictures of two more caught over 50 up the river as well.

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
it might have to do with the year 93 or 96 class of fish getting into that size range... there may be fewer of that year class left, but they should be pretty big by now
Class of '96 wouldn't yet be that size, but class of '93 -- another huge year class -- could be. Class of '89 was also very large, if any of them are still around. Prior to that, there were no comparbly sized classes for over a decade.

Keep this in mid: the classes of '89, '93, '96, '01 and '03 were all very large. '96 was by far the largest. '01 and '03 may become decimiated with disease -- the jury is still out on that. I think that's why DNR and ASMFC are so concerned about not overfishing the '96 year class (36"-40" fish). Aside from the ones mentioned, above, the other existing year classes tend to be at or below average. It would be nice to have another large class this year to keep the conveyor of trophy fish coming.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I think it's just that more people are reporting the catches on sites like this.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I kinda agree with Scott. Now, I dont doubt that there may be some science behind the available large fish, but it seems to me that we have a great resource to get and provide info to our fellow fisherman, and more and more people are using it. And more importantly (to me anyway) it also seems to be the simplest answer!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I think it has a ton to do with the internet & we still only hear rerports about 1/8 of the big fish caught. There are big fish being caught everyday, just about all over the flats. But, i don't think it's just this year......

I saw many monsters caught this year, the guys were fishing right next to me & no one was reporting any of those fish. This was back 3-4 weeks ago. We were as far from the River as one can possibly be & stay legal. I personally caught a 48"er and lost what would have been the biggest fish ever on my boat. It was an easy 55-58"er that snapped a 40# leader with one kick of the tail. (which was bigger than my fat head) The boats next to me were all pulling in slobs at the sime time. Most of those boats were sitting on the same spot everytime I was on the water. Who knows how many big fish these dudes were pulling in.

Just thursday night we picked up a 46"er on lures & the boat next to me grabbed 4-6 fish in the same class range/bigger on bait. None of those other fish were reported.

I have seen this kind of stuff for the past 6 years, all over the flats & N.E. river.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i agree with headjug and scott,this is the first year i have ever posted big fish reports. mainly because of fear that i may get pushed out of my spots. this year i said what the hell, whats the big deal the fish move around anyway.

·
Registered
970 Posts
remember all the 50's caught at cbbt earlier,probably same fish/ year, but wait I thought all C and R fish die. Bait is NOT the reason, it has been used for years now; live, cut, whatever and it quite simply is not the reason this year. Just glad they are there and will be there in the future. why can't anyone just be glad they are there. Over the past year I have been hearing more and more about how bad things are but in reality there seem to be more fish and bigger fish. This can not be said of alwife/bunker up and down the coast. Focus your complaints to things other than mr. rockfish

·
Registered
169 Posts
I had to post my opinion on this one .....so here we go ! I grew up about 15 minutes from havre de grace and have caught my share of decent fish over the past 10 years . I definitely am NOT knocking ANYONE for fishing with bait BUT I personally quit using bait about 4 years ago - i found it almost boring to sit out , anchor up and drop 3 or 4 baited lines out and sit and wait. :fishing2: .... even though i could catch probably 10 big fish each day. I feel the big ones should have a break - especially up in the river. At least if you are casting BA /topwater plugs you have to work a little harder than looking at a pic on the internet , going to the exact same spot ,anchoring up with the exact same setup as whatever someone posts and hauling fish out "cause everyone else is " . That being said, there's nothing like a 40 in. whopper hitting a topwater plug first thing in the morning !!! :thumbup:

Tight lines wherever you are fishin !!!!!

·
Registered
561 Posts
I agree with fishon the catch on the river and flats of the cows is about the same that i noticed technology has improved our communications.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts