Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to do some spearfishing around the CBBT Wednesday morning for sheeps, spadefish, and whatever else if the water has cleared up after the rain last week. Plan B will be cobia and flounder if the water still looks like pea soup. I'm not sure how many people on here dive, but i'd love to go with anyone who has a little experience. I'm not a fan of diving alone for safety reasons and none of my friends around here dive. I have gear for myself and have a good bit of experience freedive spearfishing. PM me for details if you're interested. Will be launching from crab creek. Tight lines!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have never spearfished or dove here. I have hundreds of dives in the Caymans. I too don't know anyone who spearfishes. I have a 29' CC with a wide 10' beam if you want to learn together. I have plenty of equipment but I do need to pick up a full wetsuit.

·
Registered
318 Posts
There are several people on this board, myself included who free dive the cbbt. Tip, start the last 45 minutes of the incoming. The ocean water tends to be clearer than the muddy bay water at the end of the outgoing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
2 things. Don't go too heavy on the full suit or maybe try a spring suit around here. Don't be discouraged if you can't see deep from the boat. I've been there when you couldn't see more than a few feet on top and the bottom you could see 100'. Good luck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips fellas. That saves a lot of time not having to figure out the tides out there.

RayB,

I'd love to do some diving with you sometime. I have two spearguns and full gear for myself (3mil open cell wetsuit, weight belt, masks, knifes etc...). I lived out in Hawaii for a few months this past winter for work/school and got a lot of time in the water shorediving the reefs down to about 60'. I've only been diving a few times here, but that was just shooting fish in a barrel at the light tower. I'd rather try the CBBT to get away from the crowds... I tried to PM you, but that didn't work. Give me a shout sometime. 8048325237
Tight lines

·
Registered
318 Posts
Water temp is over 70 now, no need for a wet suit unless you are a girly man. They will slow you down. Wear a pair of mechanics gloves or the pilings will destroy your hands. 2-4# of lead is all I use without my suit.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll stick with the wetsuit even at risk of being called a girly man haha. I dive much better with one because there's no shock factor that spikes your heart rate when you punch into a cold water layer. To each their own though, that's just me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm a big spear fisherman and own my own gear plus enough scuba gear to prob outfit 4 people. Let me know if you or anyone wants to shoot some fish. I spotted 2 sheepshead swimming on top in the middle of the bay cobia fishing. Strange thing to see in open water.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts