Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launched about 0630 after I collected some minnows and Opossum shrimp. Ran to one place I spied on satellite and it was another damn Channel cat haven so we rolled out. Ran around the corner to the next creek and it was just what the doctor ordered. Perch Galore and what I think is a White cat
Plant Sky Building Tree Grass
Food Table Kitchen utensil Wood Seafood
. Oh yeah Andy, where were you? :p

Reactions: andypat

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are a few more pics of the catfish.
Food Wood Recipe Ingredient Dish
Food Seafood Fish Fish products Salt and pepper shakers

Reactions: andypat

·
Registered
181 Posts
Uncle Rob,
Those white barbels and rounded anal fin and slightly rounded forked tail would lead me to identify it as a white catfish. I never caught one though so others on this site may know better. And Sailfish27 Skip would know from experience.

Here is one reference I used. Nice job with the pictures, helpful in comparing to the reference material. white catfish id reference - White Catfish

Respectfully,
ACG

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dunno what the hell it is. It has characteristics of a Blue cat and a White cat. The damn thing has a gaping maw. I thought it was a Flathead when I got it in the net. I might send a picture off to the DNR, I hope to hell it's not something new some idiot dumped overboard. It really looks like a huge Mothmouth catfish from India.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to hear you caught some fish. Thanks for posting.
We got 30 decent 8-10" perch too so we're restocking the freezer for winter. Might try a new place Sunday, dunno yet. Stay tuned because you never know where we'll turn up or what we'll catch, lol.

One other thing, the water has come up to temp, it was 79-80 in The Choptank today.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's something else I pondered while fishing. I'm wondering if the slow perch fishing is due to the Blue cats. I know in the kayaks last year we were murdering perch, 40+ per trip.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Italian spuds, Yukon gold taters, red onions, Asiago and Parmesan cheese. Greek style perch and catfish
Food Tableware Recipe Plate Ingredient
fillets, spicy catfish nuggets and plain nuggets for the pups.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Here's something else I pondered while fishing. I'm wondering if the slow perch fishing is due to the Blue cats. I know in the kayaks last year we were murdering perch, 40+ per trip.
I know my favorite, consistent perch spot is now covered up with cats. Used to catch half a bucket of perch for every cat or 2. Now it's the opposite.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know my favorite, consistent perch spot is now covered up with cats. Used to catch half a bucket of perch for every cat or 2. Now it's the opposite.
It's way off for us , I had 15 bags in the freezer by this time last year, we only have 6 as of now. If I have to fish for them this winter and grind them up for fertilizer, that's what will happen. Same with Snakeheads .

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just got an email from Keith Lockwood at the DNR. The catfish is a White catfish. I've never seen one before.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts