Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a different crew yesterday. My dad and step mom, Susie, decided to join me and my son. They haven't been fishing on the bay in quite sometime, possibly a year. My dad hasn't really done much jigging and decided he wanted a crack at some of the good fishing I told him about from 2 weeks ago. Got a late start. Left the marina at 7:15. Headed out to the same location I did so well at 2 weeks ago. Went past a good number of boats that were trolling and chunking, decided not to check that spot out. Prefer being away from the crowd. Got to the location, and whoa, a lot less marks but still had a few here and there. 35 ft of water on the West side. We dropped our baits in. 15 minutes in to it I get a hit but didn't connect. 5 minutes later my dad's reel starts peeling line off. Big fish, and he was fighting it good. After a few minute battle, WOW, a 33" fish in the boat. Sweet! Another crew and boat best on the jig. Now I'm thinking, wow it's early is it going to be another banner day? A few minutes later he gets his 2nd fish. A nice 24". Over the next hour and a half it was slow, we all get 1 or 2 fish but can't seem to get them to the boat. Now it's about 9:30 and things really slow down. Not a hit for anybody in about 20 minutes. We all decide to take a break and eat something.

IMG_3775.jpg

Taking my last bite of a ham and cheese sandwich I look over in the direction of our drift and I see a beautiful sight about 75 yds away. Breaking fish! We were gonna drift right in to them with no one else around. I told everybody get ready and put the food away fast. Sure enough, not 5 minutes go by and we had breaking fish all around us. We're all hooked up. Susie's fish decides to do a self release at the boat. My dad and I got mid 20's fish in. My son gets a 19" to the boat. We get a bunch of hits and a few more in but all just shy of or right at 20". Within 5 more minutes they stop breaking. Still got em on the sounder from 15 ft all the way to the bottom. We weren't connecting much at all now. Over the next 20 minutes we all got a few more fish in to the boat. 2 of them were mid 20's fish but I had another fish go exactly 20", I sent him back in. Now we have 7 in the box, looking for one more to get the boat limit. Another 30 minutes and not much of anything but still seeing them on the sonar, we decide were moving back to our drift starting point in hopes of more hungry fish. Got there and it was just a blank screen. After a few minutes of drifting we started to see some fish again but still no more hits. It was about 1:30 so we called it a day. Just couldn't get #8 in the box. Oh well, another great day with a 33" fish. My son was using a 4" BA glitter chart paddle tail with a 3/4oz head. May dad, Susie and I all ended up going with the 5" BA "opening night" (kind of a pearl with glitter) with a 3/4 oz head. This one seemed to be working best for us.

Only got 1 picture, that was the 33" fish and my dad.

·
Registered
13,996 Posts
Great read! I'm sure your Dad put you on some nice fish growing up and this was a great way to say "thank you." You always get hit as soon as you "bite" a sandwich..........Gary....7mmUltra mag! lol

·
Registered
599 Posts
Nice report!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts