Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
Working at a school has it's advantages, even is the salary isn't one of them. I left Christmas night to take off to Virginia Beach for an undetermined amount of time. Right away I had some boat troubles. Somehow the cap on my gas tank came off or never got put back on and I got a lot of water in my tank over the course of a week before the trip. I kept having to dump my racor and the other fuel filter on my engine as well. I took it to a shop and they took a look at it and told me keep doing what I was doing. Seeing as I had a free week and a half, I was pretty much ready to end the trip, take two days and fix it, and go back down, but since i was down the entire time with a buddy, (who had to request time off work) we decided to stick it out and try it here and there. I wanted to suck out all the fuel and start over, but I had no way os disposing it etc etc etc. . .

The fishing was ok, but it certainly has been better. Friday we trolled at Cape Hanry and caught 7 in about an hour. Came in and got the boat tied up at the marina and checked in to the hotel. Went out Friday afternoon and jigged a little.

Saturday and Sunday my dad came down. We would go out for a little while and catch some fish, then get a meal and dump the filters and go back out. We only jigged Saturday and Sunday and caught about 350 fish total although nothing over 35" I was in a bad mood as I was worrying about my boat so much.

I was pretty much done with jigging the bridge by Monday. Having only caught a few slots and one over in over 300 fish that came over the boat, I cut my losses and went to eeling for the bigger fish. We ran about 120 miles Monday, from Lynnhaven to Cape Charles to the Ocean Side of Fishermans to Rudee and back to Lynnhaven and caught a few big fish and about 25 dog fish on eels but we couldn't break the 40lb mark. Nothing was over 45" The filters were still getting water in them, but, we managed to make it home. Luckily I burnt a lot of gas and was able to fill up the tank with fresh gas which helped a lot. I broke the mount on my GPS however which was shocking. More on that later.

Yesterday we did the Cape Henry trolling deal again and were more successful than most. In about an hour we hooked up five fish and lost a few more. Although it seems most people only run short deep boat rods there I ran a full spread and the longer rods with no weight really caught all the fish. I had one back 425 feet with a 2 and 4 oz tandem and it caught three fish in a row. The biggest fish was only 39" We finished the day jigging a few more fish up at the bridge.

We were greeted with 40 mph winds when we woke up this morning. Put the boat on the trailer, and got on home.

I am taking my boat to a real shop tomorrow to make sure everything is OK. I kept thinking I was going home but we just kept pushing it one more day. The fishing was OK but not great. As far as jiggin, numbers are stunning. We were on fish so think it blacked out the meter several times each day we went fishing. Most fish were solid mid 20's but I get tired of catching those. The eeling was a little slower than I had hoped but the trolling was OK. I don't have any picture to post as the biggest fish I caught was only 44 inches.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Ah, to be young and free spirited.. Francis, so jealous of you... Glad you had a " decent time".. Happy New Year..

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Hope everything is okay with your motor, Francis. Thanks for reporting. I'm jealous too. Amazing how many fish are around the bridge this year, too bad they aren't too big.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Francis great report and don't complain about that many fish in a few days. I don't care how big they are 350 fish is a lot of action. Just go down to 6lb. and let them peel the drag. I know a thousand guys that are drooling over this post. The big ones still haven't showed but they will once the temp hits the magic 44. I should be down there by then.:D

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys

Hank! The lady at the 7-11 across from Lynnhaven knew it all. She told me in her own form of english that you just gotta wait it out this year. She has been talking daily to guys who have been fishing that area for over 15 years and every time the weather stays warm the fisherman complain about the bad fishing. She guaranteed me that when it got cold again, the fishing would pick up.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Thanks Francis for the report. As usual you did quite well. Your standards are very high which I think is good.

Where are you staying in VA Bach this year? Bridge fish get old for me too if they are not big. I did not fish VA Beach last year but may wind up over there this year.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
Thanks for the rpt Prince.

:clapping2::D

sorry it was so 'slow' forl you. ;-);-)

I know, you get spoiled by the biguns.:D
hope the motor is ok

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys,

WB- Bridge fish are frustrating. I am spoiled from days of five years ago when the average fish on the tunnels were twice as long and four times as heavy. Unforunately, I don't think I will see those days again unless something drasticly changes with our fishery as a whole.

Along with some other tidalfishers I stayed at the Travellodge just down the road from Bubba's. It is nice because it is so close to Lynnhaven as I was keeping my boat there. It is a good 20 minute drive from Rudee however. The rooms are not too nice, comftorable, or clean, and nightly the rooms are not too cheap but I got a weekly rate for just over 230 bucks which was very good.

If you are not going down for a week at a time and are launching out of Rudee I would very much recommend the Days Inn. There are three Days in under the VA Beach zipcode. The one you want is called the Day's Inn at the Beach. It's an easy address, 1000 Atlantic Avenue. It is only a block away from Rudee. It is where most of the charter captains stay. Ask for the fisherman discount and they will quote you a price in the low 30's for two double beds.

Not too much room for trailers in the parking lot so you may want to ask how many others are staying there.

My dad found a real nice place with plenty of trailer parking and reasonable rates although not as cheap as the Days Inn. I don't remember the name but if I launch out of Rudee I may stay there. I will get you the same when I get a chance to ask my dad. It is water front and very laid back and quiet.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Thanks Francis-

Good boat parking is more important than cheap to me. See if you can get more info on where your Dad stayed near Rudy. I would appreciate it.

I have given up on the Kipto Inn after my last trip. The lot was jammed. If you like to fish late and were the last couple of boats in, it was difficult to find a place to park. The dumpster was over filled with carcasses and the entire rear of the motel smelled terrible. Talking to Judy the owner led only to frustration. She basically told me if I did not like it, to go elsewhere. The next night we did exactly that. Doubt I will go back there. All the business TF has given the Kipto Inn has spoiled them. A little more money gets you a much nicer place. Kipto Inn is basically a dump. I do not need to stay in a dump when there are alternatives.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
I guess I have a lower standard,but Id kill for a day like that right about now...minus the boat troubles of course.
Thanks for the report and I sure you will get the big ones next time out.

Happy NY

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Nice report Francis...sorry for the motor troubles...Pete has been going thru the same thing lately...
I get bored with the small fish at the bridge also...but they sure are fun on LT!......:thumbup:

·
Registered
812 Posts
Francis -

Thanks for the report. Many here have said it: That is some great action.

Like Bill, I'm interested in that hotel info in VB.

My last trip to the Kipto. Inn - found a mouse running around the room in the a.m., and the desk clerk seemed unimpressed when I reported it. It was room 130 in case anyone is checking in this week.

Hope you get the rig squared away.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Thanks for the report Francis. We did ok on Monday and Tuesday, but certainly nothing to write home about.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wild Bill,

The place I got a great rate on is the Schooner Inn 215 Atlantic Ave. 757.425.5222. Ask for Michelle, she gave us a great rate for Thanksgiving weekend even though we had to cancel. They are located right at Rudee. Seems to me it was about $35.00 to $45.00 a night.

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
You know you are spoiled when over 300 Rockfish does not seem a good day :D. Great to hear of alot of mid sized ones :yes:.

Next gas cap you install- be sure it has a safety chain on it.Very easy to forget to put it back on after filling up.I've had to go back a few times to a gas station to find mine :eek:.

425 feet back - holy sh*t Batman - that is WWWWWWW back :pp.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Nice report, Im heading down this weekend. The Turtle Cay Resort-is nice 89 bucks, real close to Rudee and has room for trailers, we stayed there last year for the rockfish shooutout.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts