Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left the inlet around 5am. Decent ride to the Hotdog. The plan was to troll the Dog then head east to the 20-30 line. 2 miles before the HotDog, we found a nice current break, set the lines. Watched porpoises, whales and even a few flying fish. 10 minutes on the troll we landed a nice gaffer. Shortly after we landed another gaffer. Got on the dog and circled around, boated a small slinger.

Headed due east to the 20 line, past that and almost to the 30 line, I looked back and saw a big Bluefin leap straight up and crash an islander on my flippy floppy. Not sure what happened but it broke the leader instantly. The 100lb leader was actually stretched at its breaking point. Circled the area twice for another bite, but nothing.

Seas were still nice so we ventured even further to the canyon wall and headed north to the Baltimore hoping for a stray bite or find some lobster buoys. With seas to our back I noticed it getting windier by the minute. When I decided to pull the plug, I noticed a few buoys north of us. Drove up to them and found nice gaffers cruising the pots. Threw some chunks of squid and old ballys. A few baited hooks and not a sniff. They wouldnt even hit the unbaited chunks.

Headed towards OC and it was awful. Constantly broadsided by big seas, could barely get the boat over 12knts. It was like this till the 30 line. Finally laid down and we were able to pick up speed and get in, a bit later than I wanted.

Thinking back I should have worked the 30 line after that big tuna bite.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Well at least you had a little action. Yeah, if I had seen that big bluefin crash a bait would have defnitely been tempted to work that area hard. Have ahad a leader break instantly before too. Hard to come up with a good explanation when that happens... but it sucks. Especially losing and islander

·
Registered
173 Posts
Same thing happened to us three weeks ago. Brother and I watching the spread, 100 lb. bft skies on the flippy floppy with the GM hanging out of its mouth, left both of us with our mouths wide open. Broke off 100 ft. short of the gaff. I went up to 200 fluoro on my flippy floppy baits, food for thought.

Tony
"My Special D"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts