Tidal Fish Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Uncle rob, just a tip that was taught to me from a friend for those snakeheads that seem to snub everything you throw at them. They can’t resist, goldfish. Must be in their dna. You can also try golden shiners (legal) but they’re not as bright and a snake isn’t worth a dollar imo.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I guess you’d have to fall back on case law to see how each pertains to the resources as opposed to an individual. That’s a toughy. Not sure a district court judge is going to go through that for using a goldfish or catching rockfish when your under oath clearly stating your fishing for catfish. Any easy way to eliminate the rockfish accusation is to use j hooks. Regulations states yiu have to use non offset circle hooks for rockfish. If your using j hooks in an off season, your clearly following the law and not targeting rockfish (constructive intent?). I cant
Help if one bites.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I don’t know if there’s case law in regard to “constructive intent” as it applies to the resources, there may be. I know there is for “strict liability”, you can thank Sean Mann for that.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I guess you’d have to fall back on case law to see how each pertains to the resources as opposed to an individual. That’s a toughy. Not sure a district court judge is going to go through that for using a goldfish or catching rockfish when your under oath clearly stating your fishing for catfish. Any easy way to eliminate the rockfish accusation is to use j hooks. Regulations states yiu have to use non offset circle hooks for rockfish. If your using j hooks in an off season, your clearly following the law and not targeting rockfish (constructive intent?). I cant
Help if one bites.
Regs are, as typical, a bit confusing, but thought you need to use circle hooks IF live lining.
Dead lining, may be OK on J hook, if not targeting rock.

Can't tell you how many times I've received diametrically opposed " clarifications" from 2 or more NRPs. Sometimes in front of each other. Smart ones NEVER reply in writing. Or tell you to consult COMAR.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
If I’m targeting striped bass, I believe your correct. The hook on my line, regardless of bait or locations, proves that I was or wasn’t if I was charged with targeting striped bass. The DNR needs to do a better job, restricting where you can target striped bass, not the means to do so. I think that’s where “constructive intent” would help or hurt a prosecutor. Regarding goldfish, just use golden shiners and forget my tip

·
Registered
157 Posts
Notice how it repeatedly states WHILE NOT LIVE LINING in each subsection.

The following rules apply to hooks and bait use in Maryland’s tidal waters.
  1. In the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries:
    1. Anglers must always use a non-offset circle hook when live-lining or chumming;
    2. In March and April when using fish, crabs or worms as bait or when using processed baits, while not live-lining or chumming, anglers must either use a:
      1. Non-offset circle hook, or
      2. J-Hook with a gap equal to or less than 1/2"
    3. From May 1 – December 31 when using fish, crabs or worms as bait or when using processed baits while not live-lining or chumming, anglers must:
      1. Use a non-offset circle hook when targeting striped bass, or
      2. Use either a non-offset circle hook or a J-hook when targeting species other than striped bass
  2. In the Atlantic Ocean, its coastal bays, and their tidal tributaries anglers must always use non-offset circle hooks when using fish, crabs or worms as bait or processed baits (treble hooks are prohibited) when targeting striped bass.
Other Useful Tips:

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Who said I was live lining. If I’m casting a shoreline and catching speckled trout and I hook a rockfish, im not leaving or changing my lure. Im there for speckled trout. If
Im using cut spot on a j hook for perch and catch a few striped bass, im not leaving or changing bait.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
That is something we can ask DNR but as you know you are not suppose to introduce new species into the waters.
These are all native species that are found all over Md. I'd rather use them for something other than sitting on the patio with my blow gun and killing them.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Goldfish have been around since I was a child and I’m nearly half century old. Every carnival, pet store department store pet shop. I’d think they’d of established themselves by now, but, they’re to fish like razor clams to crabs

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
LOL, I know of a few bodies of water in MD that were loaded with reproducing goldfish in the 1980s.
Loch Raven being a biggie.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts