Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished 5/13 starting at #7. Put out right off Coan River where we marked some nice fish. Not hits until #7.

Long story short. 2-33" in the box, two short throw backs. A couple of short hit knockdowns. Everything on the boat got at least. Yellow Umbrella, White Umbrella, yellow tandems on planer boards and Mojo tandem. Ran 5 rods.

The big excitement came when we hooked a monster on a tandem parachute rig on one of the planer boards. After about a 1-2 minute fight it pulled off. ARGH![sad]

We would have loved to see that fish in the net!

Oh well.

Morning bite was the best from sunup to about 11:00am. After that it seemed pretty slow. We saw plenty of bait and some breaking schools of bait but could not buy a hit trolling around or through them.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Good Job! Glad you guys got em'. I'm thinking of going Tue...good to know I've got a chance.
Thanks for the report.

Tony

I'm a little slow so please bear with me.....Tue is the 16th.....the size limit goes down to 18" doesn't it? I'm talking about the Potomac.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks for the report. We hope to get out on Friday and Saturday and try the fish in the lower Potomac.

Yes, it looks like the limit changes to 2 fish 18" to 28" but one of the 2 may be over 28" Check www.pfrc.state.va.us

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Scott, thanks for the info. I don't think the spring run is going to last much longer but I will be back for another try on Wed. Anyone else out on Wed., give the Miss Charlotte a call.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I fished between #7 and #9 on Friday as well. Landed one 42". Got 6 school rock on Saturday under working birds. The big ones are getting harder to find. I fish from Coles Point to the bay. I go by "Capt. B". See you on the water.

·
Registered
702 Posts
[Q]Beacon originally wrote:
Thanks for the report. We hope to get out on Friday and Saturday and try the fish in the lower Potomac.

Yes, it looks like the limit changes to 2 fish 18" to 28" but one of the 2 may be over 28" Check www.pfrc.state.va.us
[/Q]

You can't possess any fish between 28-32" just to clarify.

pepsi man

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
[Q]pepsi_man originally wrote:
[Q]Beacon originally wrote:

[/Q]

You can't possess any fish between 28-32" just to clarify.

pepsi man
[/Q]

That "slot fish" is a VA thing. In the Potomac you can keep 1 over 28" and 1 under with both being over 18" or 2 between 18-28"....

Tony

PS...just wanted to add.......the way I understand this is....if you guys in VA have different regs and you fish in MD and catch a "legal" fish in MD under MD law you better not stop to wet a line on the way home....once you get back in VA water keep moving until you get back to the dock.....if the "slot" is still in effect, do the same with the Potomac....don't stop for a croaker on the way in [wink]

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Waterfowl regulations got so complex that I gave up the sport. Just too much risk of a hassel. I'm afraid it's on it's way for fisherman too.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
CR, that's the truth....I tasted some Canada Goose on the grill and I was hooked. Looked into lic. etc.....man you can almost forget it. If you are shooting birds you better know what's what! Once you pull the trigger it's yours....the bird if you did right and the bill if you did wrong.... At least with fish you can take the book of rules with you and when in question just put it back and you're ok.
PRFC pretty much follows Maryland rules on Rec. fishing so it's not too bad for a MD guy....
Tony

1 - 9 of 9 Posts