Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that a 72lber was caught earlier in the week out of the Solomons area.Can anybody confirm,or have info?
Jeff-Red machine-

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
That would be a new state record- I'm sure the media would have let us know by now.

Each year there are rumors of huge fish - one time my dad caught two Rock on a tandem rig.One was about 40 inches- say 25 lbs and the other about 36 inches - guess about 18 lbs. We teased him about catching 76 inches of Rockfish - just not in one fish.

Well - you guessed it- few days later I get a call from a friend congratulating my dad on the 76 incher :D - single fish.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I dont know if you guys could hear him but someone on the radio thurs. was talking about 64lb fish he just caught. Then I heard him say later that he thought his scale was off.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I dont know if you guys could hear him but someone on the radio thurs. was talking about 64lb fish he just caught. Then I heard him say later that he thought his scale was off.
Yeah, we heard him too...he said it was 39 inches and 60somth'n lbs.....said he wasn't kidding...weighed it several times.... We figured his scale was wrong, too short to be that heavy!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
The State record is 73 lbs

That would be a new state record- I'm sure the media would have let us know by now.

Each year there are rumors of huge fish - one time my dad caught two Rock on a tandem rig.One was about 40 inches- say 25 lbs and the other about 36 inches - guess about 18 lbs. We teased him about catching 76 inches of Rockfish - just not in one fish.

Well - you guessed it- few days later I get a call from a friend congratulating my dad on the 76 incher :D - single fish.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Al McReynolds pulled this World Record striper from the Atlantic fishing at night off the Vermont Ave. jetty in Atlantic City following days of September Nor'easter storming in 1982. The fish was taken on a 5 1/2-inch long Rebel Black-back silver minnow plug on 20-pound test line. It took one hour and 40 minutes to land the fish on the slippery jetty. The fish measured 53 inches in length with a 34 1/2 inch girth, and was estimated to be 20 - 22 years old. Its 78 pound 8 oz. weight earned it the IGFA all-tackle record!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Sad thing about the Al McReynolds fish is that years later he regretted the whole thing. He lost several good friends and family members over the prize money that came with that fish. There was an article several years ago that detailed the night he caught the fish and the aftermath that followed. I will do a search and see if I can find the article.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
I saw one that went at least 70 electroshocked by DNR at Fletchers Boat House in March of 97 . It might have gone 80 . I will see if I can find the pic and scan it .

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Interesting story, Johnfishes. I wish a more talented reporter had gotten his hands on it, 'cause it reads like a guy rambling after 12 beers, but it's definitely a very interesting story. If anyone knows of any other articles or interviews on the aftermath that this guy had to deal with, please post.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Sad thing about the Al McReynolds fish is that years later he regretted the whole thing. He lost several good friends and family members over the prize money that came with that fish. There was an article several years ago that detailed the night he caught the fish and the aftermath that followed. I will do a search and see if I can find the article.
if memory serves at all :rolleyes:, there was a two-part piece in SWS maybe about two years ago. it was supposed to be the definitive story.

bil

·
Registered
148 Posts
Al McReynolds pulled this World Record striper from the Atlantic fishing at night off the Vermont Ave. It took one hour and 40 minutes to land the fish on the slippery jetty.
If the fish was caught dead why would it take 1 hour and 45 minutes to catch? I dont know either way, I'm just asking a question. Also was he by himself when he caught it?

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
The story I read- he was with a buddy fishing from a jetty.In my book- that means there is at least one witness. I'm betting it took so long because the lure he used had light guage hooks.He did a great job landing such a beast on a small lure :thumbup:.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
State record is 67lb 8 oz, bloody point, 1995,
Do some researching on the forums, it was beaten this year....

A 73-pound striped bass, caught on January 23rd by Frederick Barnes of Chesapeake, has been certified as the new Virginia state record by the Virginia Saltwater Fishing Tournament, as it easily eclipsed the existing record of 68 pounds, 1 ounce

Capt. Mike Beane

1 - 20 of 27 Posts