Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trolled the Hacketts area yesterday evening. Four rods with Tony 17's fished on 1 and 2 planers. Picked up one bluefish and one 27' rock. Both caught on silver with green flash. Bluefish was caught trolling at 4.5 knots and rock was caught at 6.0 knots.

I would appreciate feedback from the other trollers on what they consider their optimal speed with planers when targeting rock.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Knots or MPH. 6kts puts it up there pretty good. (6X1.151=6.9MPH) I'm usually at 3.5-4MPH for rockfish. Maybe I'm missing something here. That speed puts me up where the bluefish and macs are.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was knots. I am usually in the 4 -4.5 range with planers and slower without. I bumped it up to 6 for what was going to be the last ten minutes and that is when we caught our only rock which I why I asked. Faster than usual for me too.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Thanks for the report, glad you had some success......when I use planers going anything less than 4mph doesn't allow the planer to dig down to the depth I want, even at 4 they ride a little high.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Came out of Rockhold Creek on 8/12 about 6.30 pm. Lots of bait all over outside breakwater with breaking blues, only about 12" in size. Caught on 1 oz silver casting spoon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts