Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I caught the biggest Speckled Trout I ever caught today. But it did not like the looks of my boat and went elsewhere. Caught him with plastic, then I noticed some big tails coming out of the water and cast in their vicinity with my brand spanking new X-rap (You can see where this is going). My line took off, and the drag was not holding this monster back. I put the rod in the rod holder, and lifted the anchor to prepare for a sleigh ride and a sleigh ride it was. I had some heavy Power Pro -30+ lbs and a 7ft medium heavy action rod with a Stradic 4000 whining away. I got off the anchor and followed my new found friend to deeper water. 15 minutes later, and heading towards Chads Lake, I could see leader. Its about time, what is it, a huge Redfish, A keeper Cobia, maybe a Universe Record CROAKER. No, it was...a Ray. Now I'm mad cause this monster has my new X-rap that I only cast once, and I really want it back. Well after he broke my rod by doubling back into me, I beached him on an oyster bed by fighting him for 10 more minutes after he broke my rod. I tighten the drag and paddled him onto the oytser bed where I horsed him there and removed my plug. Whose the MAN! I tossed the plug on the front of my yak and sent my Ray out to find your lures. I stopped on the oyster bed, drank an iced tea, ate a power bar and jumped back in the yak. I noticed my tackle box was barely on the front of my yak and pused it to the center. Thats when I saw only used once X-rap fall in and run witht he tide. WHY! WHYYYYY! I'm not even the man! Just another day, and its not like I ran a hook through my finger! I caught a few croaker after that, using plastic, and ended up going out with Jason to the poles, and catching a few small flounder. The water was 82 deg F and we caught the incoming and outgoing tides, from 06:30 to 13:00. One other boat went out to the 1st island and caught a few blues and croaker in the choppy seas.

Keep those lines tight.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I fished Lynnhaven Saturday from 0600-1200 and Sunday 1700-2200 with fair results. Stayed with artificials but still couldn't find anything but croakers. Did manage to catch croakerzilla's brother in the same location as well as some really nice sized other croakers.Stayed mostly in the grass beds because of the boat traffic saturday and tonight just because it is so peaceful back in there. I think the reds would have turned on in there again tonight but with work obligations, couldn't wait out the tide shift. Met a couple of guys out there Saturday who hadn't heard about the TKAA and gave them the info so we should be seeing them soon. Nice weekend of fishing and paddling, 3 more days until the wife returns so I should be back out there again before that. Just wish the tide cycle was a bit better but better than not going.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey JUKE........After you and I parted ways in the boat channel , I paddled towards chicks beach about 1/2 way then angled towards the 1st Island. Trolled my "gold gotcha with some squid strips. Pulled in 2 blues on the way to the island. After I got to the Island I toyed around off the pier then did a full circle, casting squid and catching croakers for a hour and a half.

Man O Man ..... I was getting looks from the pier rats and other boaters out there. A couple boats pulled up close to take a look at the yak. Had a nice conversation with some of them. 1 guy pulled up and asked me if I was the same guy that launched from Lesner..........I said yes. He just shook his head and smiled.

Anyways..........there were a ton of croaker out there and alot of them found my hook. I saw a guy on a boat haul in a nice flounder. I stayed out there for about an hour and a half then paddled a direct line towards Lesner. Took about 90 minutes to make it back.

My butt is sore and my arms are too.[wink] But i was a sweet day overall. I saw your truck still parked at the launch along with Jason's. I had a hard time getting the yak ontop of the Blazer after all that paddling. My arms were like noodles[smile]

It might seem like a long way to paddle to some, But I really love just cruising along and taking in the sights. I need to get a good water proof camera.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That would be a difficult padd;le on a calm day, but it was choppy out there. I was glad to see you coming back in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Actually the chop didnt bother me or the boat, The wind direction was giving me a bit of surf to catch when I timed my paddling correctly. The boat made good time considering that I was tiring
I wanted to conserve a bit of energy to zip through the outgoing current once I got back to the Lesner bridge.

I'll be the first to admit that .......I DONT KNOW SQUAT about kayaks,..... but this Tarpon kinda likes long paddles. I feel very safe in it. I know what can make it roll. All the boaters that came flying near my location slowed to a nice low wake speed once they saw me. MY HATS OFF TO THOSE GUYS...........it was a very nice gesture that was greatly appreciated.

I wish I would have heard Jason calling me when I passed you guys at the pile ons............. I was kinda focused on getting home to watch some golf and nascar.

I was sorry to hear about your rod getting trashed. Hope it wasnt a expensive one. I buy the cheapo's for my yak fishing just in case I have a accident.

[grin][grin]

·
Registered
30 Posts
[Q]Rick C. originally wrote:
I fished Lynnhaven Saturday from 0600-1200 and Sunday 1700-2200 with fair results. Stayed with artificials but still couldn't find anything but croakers. Did manage to catch croakerzilla's brother in the same location as well as some really nice sized other croakers.Stayed mostly in the grass beds because of the boat traffic saturday and tonight just because it is so peaceful back in there. I think the reds would have turned on in there again tonight but with work obligations, couldn't wait out the tide shift. Met a couple of guys out there Saturday who hadn't heard about the TKAA and gave them the info so we should be seeing them soon. Nice weekend of fishing and paddling, 3 more days until the wife returns so I should be back out there again before that. Just wish the tide cycle was a bit better but better than not going.
[/Q]

Hey Buddy, one of those guys was me. The dude in the under equiped prowler. I will be at the next meeting you all schedule so let me know when it is.

Red

BTW thanks for the tips on the inlet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was paddling out with a guy who was also in a T160. His name was Mike. Both he and I met with RickC in the inlet. I have a bright yellow Prowler.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Redgrappler/ Rick C./Uturn - I was in the orange T160i on Saturday in Lynnhaven and Sunday in Rudee. I'm happy to be up and on the board. I look forward to many good paddles and big fish.

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts