Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We launched about 0630, ran north to 1 of our spots to try for Rockfish and just as I thought not one damn bite, not even a sniff. There were Bunker EVERYWHERE. I mean you could hop from school to school and never touch the water in the creek. After I caught my second large White cat I gave up until we caught a small perch, even then, the only taker was a bigger Channel cat, Mr. Dave will be happy this winter when I can send him some catfish for dinner. All in all a good day, 3 White cats, 16 White perch and 2 Channel cats. It was really nice on the water, just the lightest of breezes so we didn't get beat up in The Rubber Duck. I'll load up a few more pictures from the new camera in the morning. I woke up at 0100 and couldn't go back to sleep so I took a nap when I got home and I'm off to bed again.
Food Ingredient Seafood Fish Cuisine
Food Seafood Ingredient Cuisine Dish

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you were not fishing for cats in general right?
No, but we always catch a few. I have to get the pics of the White cat off the new camera, they fight really well for their size and being an ambush predator. I was fishing for Rock when I got the big one.

·
Registered
304 Posts
No, but we always catch a few. I have to get the pics of the White cat off the new camera, they fight really well for their size and being an ambush predator. I was fishing for Rock when I got the big one.
They always seem to be a surprise when you are not fishing for them and they hit the lure.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They always seem to be a surprise when you are not fishing for them and they hit the lure.
We were fishing close to the pilings and it came out and hit like a ton of bricks, thought I finally had a Rockfish I could keep, lol. They're great fighters for their size.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Big ole White cat I got.

Leg Shorts Flooring Luggage and bags Sneakers

Reactions: dban520

·
Registered
304 Posts
Out of Secretary.
Nice, I'm fishing out of Mayo. I was fishing from Sandy Point last year. Skip showed me how to get the boat anchored with the right current at the bridge. Now it has been trial and error for me this year the little time I do get to go out to learn the new area. Monday I went north side of Thomas point light drop the 2 spot i had over the ledge and lost them both.
I was going to try yesterday but I remembered I had a stuck trim tab so I went to the marina yesterday to see what the issue. I was glad to see that it was only the connection came loose at the switch.

·
Registered
12,039 Posts
I've been telling people that for years.Some would rather chuck stink baits and wait for a bite. Others like to hunt, spin cast and entice a bite.I'm the latter. I've caught as many as 30 channels in a day casting jigs and was'nt fishing for them. I was drifting 4 miles on the Susquehanna that day.in my kayak fishing for Walleyes, The cats beat them to the jig and gulp twister tail every time.I think the bottom of that river is paved with caftish.There's one behind ever rock. They do put up a good fight on a spinning rod

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've been telling people that for years.Some would rather chuck stink baits and wait for a bite. Others like to hunt, spin cast and entice a bite.I'm the latter. I've caught as many as 30 channels in a day casting jigs and was'nt fishing for them. I was drifting 4 miles on the Susquehanna that day.in my kayak fishing for Walleyes, The cats beat them to the jig and gulp twister tail every time.I think the bottom of that river is paved with caftish.There's one behind ever rock. They do put up a good fight on a spinning rod
I use to fish for crappie in the tidal basin under the bridge where they open the gates to let the water in. It was always a shock when a catfish hit the grub and add the weight to line. You just never expected once you been hitting all crappie and blue gills. I lost my appetite for catfish when I tried to cook them instead of taking them to my Grama RIP. They are fun on light tackle.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is that a popping cork in the right of the picture?
Yep, M uses them as a bobber. They're buoyant enough that they just about set the hook. I make small ones up like that for perch. After we both got cut off at Bestpitch I made the switch.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yep, M uses them as a bobber. They're buoyant enough that they just about set the hook. I make small ones up like that for perch. After we both got cut off at Bestpitch I made the switch.
Never used a popping cork before but I purchased a pair last week on amazon. They sent only 1 instead of 2, I then called and they sent 2 more.
You made them for perch so you just pop and reel ;) no need to set the hooks.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Never used a popping cork before but I purchased a pair last week on amazon. They sent only 1 instead of 2, I then called and they sent 2 more.
You made them for perch so you just pop and reel ;) no need to set the hooks.
M lets the cork do the work. She'll tail hook a minnow, the fish bites, cork pulls back and sets the hook. No need to reel like you would for Redfish or trout. We have them set from 2' to 4' depending on the depth.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts