Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I recently purchased a '89 25 ft. GW w/twin 200 yamahas. Upon runing each engine in a 55 gal drum for about 20 minutes with water being constantly replenished I found the lower unit and drum to be covered with a black exhaust like oily mess. Upon draining the drum, a considerable amount of oily sludge drains through the prop. After pulling off the prop I can see that the oily mess is coming from above, down the exhaust part of the housing. There is no oil visible where the exhaust comes out below the power head. Both engines do the same thing. I am at a loss. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks Keith

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I know my 87 Yammy 200 spews lots of un-burned oil out of the exhaust. But that is visible from the hub of the prop where the exhaust is. If you're saying that there is oil running down the housing, maybe its your lower unit gaskets? Or maybe your oil pump isnt working properly and its injecting too much oil, leaving even more unburned 2-str oil.

Otherwise, I'm also at a loss.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
That's pretty normal. The exhaust coming out at the base of the powerhead is hot and appears as smoke. When you cool the same exhaust by exiting it thru the prop it condenses and shows up as the oily mess noted in your post.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys, After checking the gear oil and finding no problem there. I have concluded that it is normal. Probably only me running it for a long time w/o the moving water to keep the gear case clean is what has brought this to my attention. I would have never thought there was that much discharge into the water. A photo of my lower housing with all that burnt oil on it sure would make a good 4 stroke ad. Keith

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
We have the same model year engine - a 1989 Yamaha 200, 3-carbed, 2-stroke, and it does the same thing. We are the original owners and haven't had any major problems, but I'll throw this monkey wrench out there - we had an excess oil problem at one time. Replacing the oil sending unit fixed the problem, and also seemed to lessen the amount of oil being noticed when motor is run in a tub. The monkey wrench being this - by your description, the amount of oil appears to be in excess of what we notice. Also, we faithfully spray tune and fog this engine, which, I think, helps to lessen the amount of sludge between treatments.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts