Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support Tidal Fish
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Best I can tell, possible striped bass 4" slot has not been enforced this year. If generally true, thanks also to the Marine Police Officers in the field that didn't waste taxpayer money, and valuable time, on a 4" inch slot to which any judge would be inclined to be sympathetic.

I, and many friends, have stayed away from fishing until May 15th, this year, as no one was sure if this crazy slot was a token gesture to the regulators, or, if it was a trap, to generate money (like some camera's on the highways). It appears to be the the former.

Early on, we realized we could avoid the government regulators foolishness by driving to Jessop's new retail shop. In a conference call with a personal group last night, we all are happy we didn't fish, as we, would have released any fish close to that microscopic slot.

Striped Bass releases, when dealing with larger fish are tough without touching the gills, and/or engorging hooks in the mouth, gut and/or gills, damaging the protective gill mucus, etc. and then slapping the fish up to a measuring device out of the water, doing a tail squeeze, jaw "entender" etc to max or minimize fish length are extremely difficult without killing, or, at least making the fish more susceptible to disease.

My sympathy and anger is focused on the fact that the Marina Owners, Coastal Merchants, Tackle shops , Restaurants, Guides, Motels, i.e. the entire MD sport fishing infrastructure, all felt some the economic consequences of this "wink at the ASMFC".

Good going regulators....or whatever.

·
Premium Member
26,256 Posts
Um - OK.

From what I have seen / heard - the slot has saved many Rockfish. Charters are still booked and tackle shops doing OK as well.

IMHO - decent first step to bring Rockfish back in good numbers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I agree with skip, the slot is saving more than 25% of the fish that typically would be harvested. I also agree that it is hindering charter captains with the amount if time they spend to fill their limit but the majority are still able to do so. I personally have not had a good trophy season, so IMO this slot will make fishing better next year.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The slot is saving nothing. This is not a pond or lake. As soon as they migrate to New Jersey and Mass they will be sliced and diced. The guys up there are not going to believe how many 36-40" fish they are gonna catch.
I'm not going to stop fishing because of a slot. If that was the case I'd have to stop fishing for bass in Virginia because of all of the slot limits.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,298 Posts
I guess you'd prefer an outright moritorium

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
CAMERONZ

If I'm not mistaken, coastal regs were cut back to 1 per day. They're giving up fish too.

Its a baby step, but in very much the right direction. Would have liked a 34-40 slot but hey there's alot of fish being released this year.

Chris

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'm just amazed as some of the things people think and write for others to see.
If people write these things what are they really thinking?

These regulations are better than nothing in my opinion.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Anyone can go back through recent posts and read about all the released slot fish. That's only from the people that post online here. There are many more folks that don't post at all and I'm sure a lot of them have released some slot fish as well. I believe the slot is going to make a difference, big or small I don't know, but a difference anyway. I have spoken to 2 charter captains and both were booked solid for the season so I don't see where it has had any affect on them either. It may affect repeat business to some degree. The weather and the jellies has had more affect than the slot I believe. I'd like to see the slot at least for a few years in order to really tell the impact. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't know what needed to improve. Us weekend warriors didn't have much of a problem last year. It wasn't too difficult to catch 50-100 every weekend trolling.

·
Registered
11,251 Posts
It's too soon to call, but I believe it was a good move. More Big fish, more happy fishermen. I'd rather catch some Big fish to be released than just a memory of a Big Fish Dinner. We're in the recycle era of Fishery Management...And it's here to stay. It's the only reasonable solution.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Mark Twain

But that usually applies to me, so granted, a hypocritical response.

I haven't caught 50-100 of anything except blues on a weekend, trolling.

Unless you're throwing $100 bills on a strip club stage connected to your "trolling rod", there hasn't been a lot of 50-100 catches of stripers - the fish - that I've heard of. Slot or not.

To be clear, pro attempt, slot or anything else science based that results in action by our govment'.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
While I believe there were easier way to achieve the reductions than the slot, just have to wait and see how it pans out. It has worked for other species like Reds and snook. I can't go along with the conspiracy theory or that it has a major impact if any on the economy.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
People that love to fish, are going to do so.
Slot, or no.
If there is a slow down in the economical aspect of the spring fishing season, we could just as easily point to the late departure of winter.
Although most serious fishermen are on the water, there are alot of people that just haven't gone yet.
The weather just hasn't been that pretty, and they don't feel that strongly about the trophy season to go out on a cool & windy day.
I know we are slammed, both at the boat shop, and the marina.
We've all heard the grumblings of not boxing fish, but we haven't heard anyone mention the slot keeping them at the dock.
If anything kept them at the dock, it was the fact that it blew a gale the entire week following opening day.
When that happens, tackle shops will see a bit of a slow down, because you don't have people buying more or replacing stuff.

There is no question.. NONE.. that there are ALOT of slot fish going back.
Sure. Some are being poached. Some won't survive the release. But the fact remains that there are a mess of fish returning to the water that are surviving.
They aren't landing on MD's dinner table. We're doing our part, like it or not.
The other state are supposed to as well.
And we'll get along just fine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think the slot is a good thing. Regardless you're fishing- and learning (i.e. in terms of 2015, don't forget a comb or 2).

I'd be lying to say I wasn't a little pissed throwing back 2 gorgeous 38"s on opening day and the next time out. But they were both packed with roe and extremely fat. Those fish live to spawn. On the plus side, when you pull in that 43' or 45' or 48' :thumbup: it feels a little more deserving throwin it in the box.

·
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree, and enforceable and easy to adhere to...

I agree, cutting the total allowed to one is pretty easy and straightforward.

·
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree, the coastal regulations are easy to follow, and we don't risk increased mortality with all this measuring.

I assume the comment on "recycling" refers to catch and release? As we DO now up until April 17th! Hello. I simply suggesting waiting until May 1 would have saved a lot more fish and accomplished the desired increase in survival the regulators claim they want. Todays regulators try to please everyone.

As to the young fellows who see a "moratorium" as the alternative to a slot, you know starting the season a week or 2 later is not a moratorium!
Obviously many don't remember when we had a complete moratorium under Governor Glendening. It was the most effective management measure in Chesapeake Striper history. And after a few years, fishery managers like Pete Jensen, et. al said, ok, it's time to reopen striped bass, and the governor did, and we had comprehensive Striped Bass abundance! Those guys took the heat and saved the fishery. They were tough but classy, never belittling any suggestions of alternatives.

To my friend, I know the 15th isn't that long, and by then we'll start getting other species coming in...so after the striper, or two, limit we don't have to drive home! OMG!

Hope to see the large croaker and spot again. The spanish and blues are always a rush too. (These guys spawn offshore, ya know). Love it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree that opening the season up two weeks later probably would save more fish. But I appreciate the slot never the less. That said, not sure if you are serious about the difficulty of catching and releasing big fish. Carefully landing and releasing big ones unharmed is part of the sport and separates the slobs from the anglers imo.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts