Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of cleaning and lubing a bunch of spinning reels and was figuring I'd upgrade a couple. Most are Penn 4500 SS (grpahite). A couple are good only for parts. I set them aside for the annual BPS reel sale.

What should I get? I want something a little bit nicer than the 4500s, but not something gold plated like the Van Stalls. In the past, I've stuck with Penn because they are (were) American made. Now that they've move their ops to China, I no longer have any brand loyalty. They weren't loyal to the American worker, so I don't have to be loyal to them.

What say ye great fishing font of knowledge? :) :) :)

And GB, this is a spinning reel thread...don't muck it up with manly man reel comments. :) :)

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Pork-

I am a Penn Slammer guy. I think Penn finally got all the features guys want for LTJ in there little 260 powerhouse. I am even going to buy a Chinese Slammer (just one) and see if they ruined them. I have asked on message boards and no one knows (you get some interesting guesses). The 260 is about the size of your 4500 SS reels but has a metal body and some other nice features.

In the meantime I purchased a Quantum Cabo PT 30. Except that it costs more than the Penn Slammer and is a tad bigger than I want, it has been an excellent reel. They say they have a lifetime warranty and a very quick turn around on service, but I have not tested that or even know what a lifetime warranty on a fishing reel means. They are coming out with a PT 20 which may be more to my liking. I have not taken it apart yet but, it most likely does not have the elegantly simple design of the Slammer.

Except for surf fishermen, I have no idea why guys fish the bay and ocean for stripers with huge reels.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I bought a pair of cabo pt 60's in the spring and like them so much I will be buying another pair of the 40's,they are great reels smooth,strong drags and cast a mile,real happy with them doubt I would but anything else,though the new fin-nor offshore reels are pretty nice also,got a chance to use one back in Dec.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Lately I've grown pretty fond of the Diawa spinners. I usually don't spend over 100-150$ for spinners because I've never found a high dollar one that I thought was really worht the money. I had a Stradic and it was nice but really nothing all that special. I do most of my spending on my casting and offshore reels because the money is actually used where it's needed. There's a bigger step in quality there as opposed to spinners. Slammers are nice but a little heavy to me. I really like my Diawa thoery reels. They seem to hold up much better than Stradics. Shimano does however have really good customer service so there's nothing wrong with thier spinners if you don't mind sending them bcak every season.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brothers,
I agree with wild Bill on the old Made in the USA Penn Slammer. I have one and for a spin reel I like it, but; not enough to get another if they are made by them Red Commies. I also agree with the Quantum Cabo 30PT, which I also have. I also prefer the 20 size for LTJ'ing and will be in line to get the new Cabo 20PT. Probablly another Red Commie plot to destroy us from within.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I'm in the process of changing sponsors, either quantum or daiwa.

for daiwa...the black gold is a very good reel used by many southern guides i know. however, if ya like bearings it only has 3, and most important it does not have instant anti-reverse. also need an extra spool, nada for the black gold. ss tournament, anti-reverse, no spool. i would think hard about the black gold and may go somewhere and touch em. i don't know if the anti-reverse is like the old penn ss series, close but not cigar.

for quantum, the catalyst pti, has a good rep, extra spool, anti- reverse, like bearing it has 8, boca pt, good reel too, no spool, cabo pt. no spool, 9 bearing on the two bigger, and 8 on the 30 and 40 sizes. right now I'm thinking the catalyst.

one other reel i looked at was the penn spinfisher ssg, don't know where its made probably china. a penn rep. told me only the internationals are made here...now their parent is shakespeare so who knows.

i will have some fin-nor ahab's for sale at the tri-state show. nice small LT reels, with extra aluminum spools. plus a couple small LT abu-garcia's.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
I agree with Wild Bill. I have 6 of the slammer 260's and find the drag better than the Stradics. I have caught alot of big fish on these reels including Sharks up to 100lbs, big Jacks, Amberjacks, bonita, Kingfish, Barracuda, Tarpon a snook that went 35lbs etc. They get a real workout down here in Florida and for redfish and gator Trout they are great. So far no corrosion where my stradics are all green on the metal parts. Now for live baiting Sailfish there is nothing like the Shimano bait runners 4500 and 6500 especially if you use circle hooks or bridle your baits. I talked with Mark Sosin in December and he swears by the Pfluger contenders, tells me the drags are the best he has used. His brother in law said Mark is sonsored by them so he owes them loyalty. I fished a few redfish tournaments in Mosquito lagoon and many of the sponsored guys were fishing the Quantum cabo pts reels but they are 14ozs. and looked big to me.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I've been mostly using Shimano spinning reels for a long time and have been very pleased. For the money, the Sahara 4000 can't be beat IMHO. I also have a Symetre which I like a lot. I prefer 6:1 gear ratio (for most uses), instant anti-reverse, front drag and light weight. I will however, take a closer look at the 260 Penn Slammers. Frankly, though, I have too many reels already! :D
(probably in the 50s or 60s including levelwinds and old ones)

BTW, John, I'm not getting a table at Tri-State but I'll see you there.

·
Registered
397 Posts
My better reels are Daiwa Capricorns and Shimano Stradics. Now the Capricorn was replaced with the Tierra and a high end shop down in Charleston South Carolina told me that the Daiwa's are now outselling the Shimano's (spinning). Daiwa is really tuned into the LTJ. The have series called STEEZ that is awsome but very $$$$$$$$$$.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went over to BPS to fondle some reels mentioned above, but the nincompoop kids behind the counter had lost the key and couldn't open any of the cabinets. :( :( :( I hope their boss takes a big stick to 'em.

·
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brothers,
In fact I do have some spin reels and use them for ultra-ligte baits, real windy conditions, at night when I can't see the bait hit the water and when I have beginning fishermen in the boat. Now that I've lost my MOJO I sometimes use a spin reel when I'm getting skunked or smoked and need to change my luck.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Diawa guys and guys who whant to try Diawa. Check out the Thoery. ARB's and all the bells and whistles for 75$ you'll never try another Shimano.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I have quite a few Stradics and find them OK but not really all that great. No complaints but I am just not super duper impressed. I will probably buy only Stadics or Baitrunners (different appkications) as long as they make them, but, only becaise the money to quality ratio is right in my opinon and they have given me excellent service when I need one completly rebuilt.

I know two people who fish as much as I do with Stellas and they are a complete and utter cut above the rest. After literally thousand of fish they are still silky smooth and nice, and both of my buddies bought them when they first came out. Great reel, but you can buy three and a half Stradics for the same price. . .

Shimano makes a reel cheaper than a Stella but more expensive than a Stradic. I cant remember the name but it's probably a good reel too.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Dawia is the way to go. I have a Capricorn, Theory, and 2 Regals. The Regals were purchased about six years ago for I think $40. They finally gave out on me last trip to the CBBT / the anti-reverse went out. They have been an excellant reel / matter of fact, I just ordered another one from Bass Pro Shop.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
i use exactly what timbo uses...the shamu sahara, price 60, on sale at times for 50. they will hold up to heavy use fopr about 4 years, with little or no maintenance. have tried most brands, and keep coming back to shamu.plus...who likes commie stuff!!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
i have fished with Penn260 and shimano stradics.both are nice reels,but the mait. on a Stratic is very easy with only taking a small screw out and adding a drop or two of oil.Sustain is the next step up on shamanos.Also i think Penn is not makin slammers in the USA anymore. Dave

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I have a couple of Gracia Michell 406 reels.but I did retire them. I can remember when the Spinning reels came out. My father-in-law bought left handed ones cause it didn't seem right to reel with the left hand. Do you believe I'm that old!! :)
Les. a Penn man

·
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brothers,
The Stratic is a very nice reel, but; like all the Shamino's I've tried it's a bit too sloppy in the handle for me. If you can't do chin ups on the hendle, I don't like the reel. The Penn Slammer's and the Quantum PT's have very solid handles, which works for me

1 - 20 of 55 Posts