Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out of the south and dropped lines just N of 83a. Got all 13 lines out and just S of 83a around 10:15 we got the first hit. Nice 39" hit a 6oz green headed white chute on the downrigger 25'.

We had pretty good action until about 1:30. Boating 5 Overs 34-39" and 3 unders 22-26". All fish were taken in 65'+ of water especially around good bait. Most hit white today. both deep and shallow lines.

Good talking to a bunch of TFers out there today. Here are a few more pics. All fish released heatlhy but a 24" and a 37" that was gill hooked and will be eating at the Skins tailgate on Sunday!

·
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paul,

On the heavier Penn setup you see in the second picture I was running a small Stormbrella ( 9" Tsunami Pro Bunker trailer with 4 golden mullet 6" storm teasers - hooks snipped to be legal of course) down 35'. I got hit once and snapped the clip but didnt hook up.

The other downrigger had a lighter spinning combo we actually use for livelining so I ran a tandem 6oz green alien head white chute with 9" shad and a small white 6" above. This caught my first 39" and 2 of the unders on the smaller bucktail and it was down 25'.

It took me a while to get te 39 in on the lighter rod with the extra pull of trolling but worked well. If he was much over 40 we would have had to slow down alot. But it was more fun than a heavy trolling stick for sure!

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
No job boys. That disorganized trip we did on my boat had me get my butt in gear and respool and organize myself again. I have been hitting them myself close to home. Glad you guys got into them too.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
great report/pics.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
--Heh, you make me feel better this Morning-I have a Bannana Colored jacket & hesitate to wear it felling it was Bad Luck --Looks like by your successful catch thats a bunch of BS --Thanks geo, --Nice Catch --

--Betgha ya LOVE that Stamas , a Proven boat through the years , made by the best --

·
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Paul: This is Jim ( the Dad) if you were asking about the reel/rod...it's a Penn 850 ( big spool) with 40 lb. braid. The rod is a 7 foot med. action ( I can't recall the brand now). We can still get a good bend on the rod when clipped in. We get alot of our fish off the down riggers. We use standard 8lb. round balls.

The fun is when we take our LTJ rods and put them on the down riggers and hook a big one. In the summer, I bring out a 4' ultralight ugly stik rod out and put that on a rigger. Now that is a blast whatever size fish you hook up with!

·
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Capt. George...you are correct we do love that Stamas. Well put together and perfect for fishing and weekending. I was going to originally call my boat "wood" cause that's what I sport everytime I get on the boat. But then I realized I'd have to explain the name somehow to my Daughter...that's when I went to Hookin -Up. Never had any major problems in 4 seasons. Never had to tighten a screw. The little minor ones were taken care of quickly ( at no charge) by Island Yacht Brokers.

It's real nice out there when it's snotty on the bay. Never get wet. The only drag is I can't trailer it. Skips' ( and lots of others) got me there, running down to Breezy or Solomons, that's a 60 or 90 min. run ( 20 to 30 gal.) to go there. BUT I am not complaining. Besides, I got the best mate on the Bay. And he's cheap.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
A Excellent Bay Boat

--The Stamas , was I believe built by a Greek family with fishing Backrounds dating back Centuries --In the Heyday of the Ray Hunt designed 25 & 31 Bertram , the Stamas was Regarded of Equal Fishing design & had Quality bottom plugs ,showing the Hand laid & Very Strong Construction --As you have found out She Is a Dream in Head seas & Following seas --Ample Power to keep here on top W/o Pitchpoling --Trough trolling because of the deep v may be a little hard --But she loves Running in the trough --When going home in rough weather from the oppisite side , try to choose a Trough angle to allow running in the Trough --Enjoy Her she's Tops --geo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts