Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, so I've only had two successfull rock trips in my life, and those were the ones that got me hooked and made me decide to buy a boat. since I have owned a boat, I have had only one good trip and that was almost 2 years ago. SO... since I have never even asked the questions about what why and how, here goes...

1. When is the best time to striper fish (day or night) or does it REALLY matter?

2. What is "chunking" and how do you do it?

3. How do you "find" the fish except for looking for the large groups of hovering/diving birds?

I know that these all seem like very newbie questions for someone that has had a couple of boats in the last 3 years and goes out almost 1-2 times a week, but that's because they ARE!

Oh, and one more thing... I saw Jet Ski Brian out at the HRBT last night and he was the ONLY one catching. I am starting to re-think this whole "boat" thing! Maybe I should trade up for a jet ski!:D

Thanks for the help,
Dave

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Striper Information

Dave,

You can sort the topics & author and probably find the different topics. Night time along light lines with current & structure are great areas to fish. IE CBBT, MMBT, HRBT.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
95 Posts
Where are you launching from?
The fish are just starting to school up and you can expect the big ones to arrive later this month. Gannets are a great indicator of feeding fish(carry a good pair of binocs), as well as checking the reports for daily intel. and following the other boats.
Chunking usually involves anchoring up current of some type of structure and throwing out pieces of cut up fish to drift down to the zone. Follow the bait with hooked chunks of fish free-lined on the same drift. Great for early season schoolies.
During prime time most guys troll to cover more ground looking to find the schools. Drifting eels is also a winner, especially around buoy 36 and the concrete ships.(Really better in Dec and Jan.
Hope you get on em'

·
Registered
943 Posts
1. The Fish are with the Bait, find the bait!
Hence, Lights at night.
2. Chunking pieces of fish draw the Bait!
3.Use you depth finder the Find the bait.

Les

1 - 5 of 5 Posts