Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to shark hard on the piers in nc...and drum fish harder in the surf or on the piers...lately i'm just as happy catching a stray speck or several roundhead for dinner. I'd like to see another bluefish blitz time like the old days, but I was wondering if most of you take the big guns out regularly,the heavers or plug\baitfish the wash. How much of your gear stays in your buggy. What is your rig you seem to have in your hand?Slow right now on this board... so I thought I'd ask?
Wes

·
Registered
902 Posts
Had some good bluefish action from the beach in Corolla last summer, I think it was mid July. During the last hour or two of sunlight we caught about 15 of them in the 2 - 5lb range, all of them on bait. No surface activity or visible sign that they were there but they were hitting left and right. At first we were catching them on cut spot but we ran out and started using blue belly strips which worked just as well plus I caught a 19" fluke on the blue belly at sunset, nice bonus.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Had decent bluefish action last year in early April in O.C. Caught lots of blues up to 12 lbs. on finger mullet. I use a 10Ft. Okuma surf rod with an Okuma Axeon reel. I also have a 9' rod with a diawa reel and a 7' rod with a penn for cast artificials into the surf.
Glad to see this new board. I do lots of surf fishing in O.C./ Deleware and Assateague Island.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I would have both Spinning and baitcasting out fit on the beach with me. A spinning out fit with metal in a rod holder ready for the blitz. I would aso have a baitcasting out fit or two with bait in the water waitng for somthing to happen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Primary heaver..
loomis 1448 w/ slosh 20

3-5oz rod
All start 1267 w/ stradic 5000

1-4 oz rod
Tica 9' 2-6. butt extended 6" W/ stradic 4000

Trout rod
Lamiglas P844 w/ stradic 2500...

got back ups for all of the above..:):)

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
My motto is be prepared for anything but I'm running out of rack space. [smile]

The first rod out of the rack is usually the Allstar but here is what I normally keep in the rack in the order of usage

Allstar 1418 w/ Abu 6500 Mag. Elite
Lamiglas GSB1502 w/Abu 7500C3CT
Lamiglas GSB1502 w/Abu 7500CT
Lamiglas GSB1221 w/Abu 7500C3CT
St. Croix 8903-XH-10 w/Abu 7000C3 (Moroon)
Lamiglas GSB1081L w/Daiwa Capricorn 4000
Diawa Sealine 1102 with a Diawa BG 30
Fenwick SCG708M w/ Abu Ultra mag XL2

·
Registered
6 Posts
GO AHEAD SEAHUNTER !!!

nice arsenal....I left out me back ups (they aint customs) but yer right, you gotta have an aresenal. Since Blitz's only happen every 20 years or so (it seems, there is presently a chopper blitz at hatteras Island) you better be ready when it happens. My back up heaver (presently) is the Oceanmaster heaver from BPS. I am going to the rodbuilding show in Charlotte in February, and plan to upgrade then...

Them lami's are sweet aint they ???

What do you use the 1418 for ? I love me allstar....hope to find another (or 2-3 :):) )

Happy New Year

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was wishing that some OBPA\FHB type guy's would show up.
Seahunter: The fist rod out for me is a 1418 as well and yes, I carry most of my gear with me and pull it as required.
Custer: I have great regard for those diawa 20's\30's, I know you post on a lot of boards let's fire this one up.tell those NC guy's to help out. a little Corky & Kenny some Bernie& Ryan would be nice.........
Wes

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Custer, I almost forgot,well I did forget.the 1418 & the 1448 are in my mind pretty similar rods action wise ,with a 6500 or a 20\525 . these two are terrific all around surf stick's . the Tica's are almost impossible to beat for the dollar.remind me of the old absolute & lexus standards.
Wes

·
Registered
155 Posts
12 1/2' Breakaway with SLSH 30
11' 4' Lamilas Heaver with SLSH 20
10' Lamilglass Conventional with 6500 CTC3 (the sportsrocket)
10' Lamiglass Spinner with Pen SSG550
8 Lamiglass Spinner with Penn 4500SS

All are custom. The 10' Lamiglass Conventional is my go to rod. I dont bother taking the the breakaway and lamiglass heaver to Ocean City or Asseateague anymore; they do make at least 4 to 6 trips to the OBX annually.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Easy to load, great rod to fight a good size fish,light in weight to stand and fish, to my mind these two rods & and Tica 12'are prime 5..7& bait rods.8 plus I go 1509 or purglass 400-4 cut to 12'6". lighter I go 1265 or a 13' breakaway Mike & Bill White pawned off on me. Just like you guy's I have way too much equipment.
Wes

·
Registered
6 Posts
[Q]hardhead originally wrote:
I was wishing that some OBPA\FHB type guy's would show up.
Seahunter: The fist rod out for me is a 1418 as well and yes, I carry most of my gear with me and pull it as required.
Custer: I have great regard for those diawa 20's\30's, I know you post on a lot of boards let's fire this one up.tell those NC guy's to help out. a little Corky & Kenny some Bernie& Ryan would be nice.........
Wes
[/Q]

Ohhhyeh....I will post this to the FHB's and see it we git any "hits"...

seayaondabeach!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.