Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday fished the mouth of the GW trolling up the channel edge to #1 buoy at Smith Point Light. By the time we got to Smith Point Light we had 7 macks in the boat. Five of these were caught when all five rods went down together. Managed to get all aboard. When we cross the bar at Smith Point all five rods went down again. This time it was one mack and 4 nice blues. Trolled around #1 buoy for about 30 minutes with only one more mack. Headed back toward GW with only adding one more mack to the cooler. When we reached the mouth of the GW saw a good school of something on the fishfinder. Two rods went down. Continued on marking more fish. Another knock down. To make this story short we made U-turn after U-turn catching at least one fish on each turn. Ended the day around 7 o'clock with 30 spanish and 10 blues. All and all a great day. It was very bouncy out there. Wind blew all day.
Bubba[angel][angel]

·
Registered
531 Posts
Nice report LB! We did not get out this weekend other than to set out 2 Crab pots. (Got 16) Good pickins' Sunday night though.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Scott,
We did the crab pot thing this past weekend. Don't know why, but 80 % of my catch was big females. I made a personal rule at the start of the year that I wouldn't keep the females. Was tough to throw back crabs that big. I fish 4 pots checking them every 24 hrs. Usually have around 30 to 40 keeper each time. Like you said "Good eating".
Bubba

·
Registered
702 Posts
LB, I will be heading your way on sunday, if you are going to be out there b mail me back so we can set up some communication system. Radio will be very crowded next weekend and the fish are definitely headed your way.[tongue]

pepsi man

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pepsi,
Wifey has put a big old J-hook in my lip. Will be dragging me to Baltimore for a wedding. Leaving Saturday morning returning on Sunday sometime. Fought tooth and nail to keep from going, but with hunting season coming up you got to do what you think you need to do.
Bubba[angel][angel][angel]

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have fished for spanish before in Wrightsville, but never in the bay. This weekend I am hoping to catch one on a fly. I am thinking of going to Wolf Trap or Windmill Point Bar. What time/tide is best to find them? Thanks in advance.
Thomas

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thomas,
Without a doubt early or late. Middle of the day things tend to get real slow. My best luck has been from around 3 o'clock till dark:30. As for the fly. I haven't seen the mack schooled enough to justify flyfishing for them. We have had some good days this year but it took lots of travel to find small schools of fish.
Bubba[angel][angel]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts