Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
don't know if you guys saw my pond hopping thread , but this is a little heads up . The day after those pics were taken , my buddy went to the same spot and other nearby spillways , (DE) and found the places loaded with bluebacks , trust me , he knows the difference . Herring showing up this soon in these areas might point to an early striper run up the rivers . Those herring have come from the ocean this early and only one thing is behind them : Big spawning rockfish . I've heard many commercial gill-net reports about huge amounts of rock being taken . I think we will be hit with an early run .http://img261.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img261/9115/11731132309yp.smil

Go to ImageShack® to Create your own Slideshow Notice the last fish in the show ?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Slide Show

Mike, I've been trying to view the show you posted
but i'm having trouble. Need a little help please.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Nice catch, that is definitively a blue back.
Thanks for the report and pictures

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Thats early for bluebacks. I was starting to see a few scant signs of spring up here in the Catoctin Mountains of MD... birds singing and a lone robbin. But this morning it was 9F with 30mph gusts of wind... and now a couple inches of snow is in the forecast. Dunno how cold it got in DE last night, but a cold snap like this will definitely shrivel up herring's family jewels. Oh well... back to winter.

Fifty-Fifty - I couldn't access the slides either. (my computer & AOL dialup may be my problem)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mike you might just be right... I was able to see your slide show and those are some nice fish and definitely a very good sign!
:rockon:

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I've seen the same bird that I think decided to winter-over here at the mouth of the Magothy, but that's all so far. I had to drain and antifreeze my engine block again yesterday in anticipation of this cold snap. Lots of ice and freezing foam this morning along with a very low tide. Mike, your post makes me miss those warm spring days down south. Thanks for posting. In the deep south, they call 'em "speckled perch." To me, they've always been "crappie" pronounced like "****," but most folks I know down in the hills call 'em "croppie." Bunch of unlearnt hillbillies....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts