Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am referring to the April edition of sport fishing magazine editorial titled "dollars and sense".Its about the carnage that is still happening off NC.But applies to Md also.[IMO]
Jeff -Red Machine-

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
I read that too but they let an important thing out.

A fish that is caught - then released is worth double.

Caught and released yet again - value is tripled.

Years ago I took my family to Florida and we did the tourist airboat ride. While waiting there at the marina - overheard a couple local bass guides talking. The one guide guaranteed a 10 pound LM Bass - but required a three day booking.

The one guide kidded him - asking how much he had made off that one ten pounder - they called it a pet. Seems they knew where it hung out and fished live shiners for it - many times.

Perfect example of how much a fish can be worth - C/R can really add to it's value.

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
:peace: - Doubt a small business owner would ever get elected.

I think slowly but surely - more people are starting to realize fish populations need to be managed better. We might need to manage Rockfish like Red Drum - an upper no take size. Let the big ones breed.

Right now on our bay and the flats - guides are making money from clients who understand it will be 100% catch / release fishing.

In a few weeks - some of these released fish will be caught again. Most will be kept ( killed ) but fish was enjoyed twice.

Right there is double the money - from the same fish. Tagging has proven fish are caught more then once.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
I read that too but they let an important thing out.

A fish that is caught - then released is worth double.

Caught and released yet again - value is tripled.

Years ago I took my family to Florida and we did the tourist airboat ride. While waiting there at the marina - overheard a couple local bass guides talking. The one guide guaranteed a 10 pound LM Bass - but required a three day booking.

The one guide kidded him - asking how much he had made off that one ten pounder - they called it a pet. Seems they knew where it hung out and fished live shiners for it - many times.

Perfect example of how much a fish can be worth - C/R can really add to it's value.
Skip, It's been that way in freshwater for at least 20 maybe 30 years. Why is saltwater so far behind the times?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Tagging has proven fish are caught more then once.
Skip - you might not want to bring this up. While some who tag fish have caught them again, and others have caught fish that were tagged by others, I would bet that, if studied, less then 5% of tagged fish have reportedly been caught again. Opponents of C&R would argue that this means 95% of those fish died from the C&R&tagging....who's to prove otherwise?

Just as a "For instance"...How many fish did Maryland release in the Diamond Jim contest? How many of those were reportedly caught? Anybody know?

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Skip - you might not want to bring this up. While some who tag fish have caught them again, and others have caught fish that were tagged by others, I would bet that, if studied, less then 5% of tagged fish have reportedly been caught again. Opponents of C&R would argue that this means 95% of those fish died from the C&R&tagging....who's to prove otherwise?

Just as a "For instance"...How many fish did Maryland release in the Diamond Jim contest? How many of those were reportedly caught? Anybody know?
There is NO way a released fish could ever live:hysterical::oops:well maybe 5%:eek2: unbelievable...and Diamond Jim is dead toodoh :popcorn:............Gary

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Longtail - Tagged fish returns vary greatly. Overall - it is about 3%.

Lots of reasons why a tagged fish that is caught is not reported. Can be as simple as the angler did not call / send it back.

Tag might be too old that the writing is worn off. At least 2-3 times a year on the bay - I hear on VHF , an angler asking about what to do with a tagged fish they just caught.

Tagged fish might have been caught when it was not in season or out and out poached. Some long liners do not report tagged fish captured - no idea why , info only helps the overall fishery.

The Diamond Jim contest had about 250 Rock tagged - not sure how many came back - think around 5-6 of them.

Funny thing with those fish - one was caught a year later at the CBBT. Another odd but true story - one of the charterboats that tagged Diamond Jim fish caught one about 5 months later. Turns out it was one they had tagged.

The best tags are very expensive satellite pop ups. They release from the fish after a set period. These were used on Marlin and big Bluefin Tuna - I think it showed almost all the fish survived at least 14 days after capture - then tags let go.

There was a Diamond Jim that had all kind of Md fish tagged. Some LM Bass that were tagged were caught 2-3 times. Some were even transported by livewell to other areas - then released to be caught again.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Longtail - Tagged fish returns vary greatly. Overall - it is about 3%.

Lots of reasons why a tagged fish that is caught is not reported. Can be as simple as the angler did not call / send it back.
This is EXACTLY my point. If I were against C&R my first response was "You left out 1 simple reason....the fish died, prove to me it didn't"

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Guess the counter point would be - prove to me it did , not to be a wise a$$.

Tagged fish have been caught many years after being released.

In saltwater - the tagged fish can move many miles , even to another state , heck even another country in some species.

In freshwater - very common to catch a fish that has been C/R before. The fish are somewhat contained. Some are tagged , others have a hook scar in their jaw. Trout near Frederick , Md are prime example. Some creeks are C/R fishing only.
I grew up fishing a small 3 acre pond. Over the years , myself and others caught the same LM Bass year after year.
100% sure since some had odd scars , missing an eye , hump back , etc - that let us indentify them. Fun watching how they grew.
Even in that small pond - some years one of the Bass would not be caught , then next year get caught 2-3 times.

If fish are handled correctly , fought with proper tackle and released quickly - very good chance they live.

Now a fish put in a cooler - it is 100% a dead fish.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Satellite archival tags are shown to have a high % survival among C&R fish. Maybe mark and recapture isn’t the data to look at when assessing catch and release survival.

The problem with satellite tags is the cost and monitoring. Ok for small studies but probably cost prohibitive for a large study.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Guess the counter point would be - prove to me it did , not to be a wise a$$.

Tagged fish have been caught many years after being released.

In saltwater - the tagged fish can move many miles , even to another state , heck even another country in some species.

In freshwater - very common to catch a fish that has been C/R before. The fish are somewhat contained. Some are tagged , others have a hook scar in their jaw. Trout near Frederick , Md are prime example. Some creeks are C/R fishing only.
I grew up fishing a small 3 acre pond. Over the years , myself and others caught the same LM Bass year after year.
100% sure since some had odd scars , missing an eye , hump back , etc - that let us indentify them. Fun watching how they grew.
Even in that small pond - some years one of the Bass would not be caught , then next year get caught 2-3 times.

If fish are handled correctly , fought with proper tackle and released quickly - very good chance they live.

Now a fish put in a cooler - it is 100% a dead fish.
Never mind.....you know it all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts