Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We launched my boat at 0430 this morning at Oak Grove Marina on the South River. While still tied to the pier, we saw a small boat that launched before us going in circles at a pretty good speed. We noticed that no one was on the boat and ran over to investigate. We saw an older man being drug around by the boat, hanging on with his arm. The engine finally quit and the man was struggling to get to the dock. We grabbed his boat from my boat and pulled it to the dock and all of us pulled the exhausted man from the water. He was by himself and did not have a PFD on. It happens so quick. Well the crab Gods rewarded us with 1 1/2 bushels of big dark tasty crabs in just 3 hours..................Gary

Food Seafood Wood Chesapeake blue crab Cuisine Arthropod Chesapeake blue crab Decapoda Crab Wood

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Dang Gary! Glad you were there to lend a HAND. That is a Nice reward as well..

TED

·
Premium Member
26,256 Posts
Good luck was on that guy's side - with you being right there and able to help him in time.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Like you say - It only takes a small mistake for things to go bad. Good thing you where there to help or he would have been another statistic and another family suffering. Hope you enjoyed the Crabs.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Gene Mueller of the Washington Times wrote an award winning story of a similar incident that happened to him while crabbing. He was alone, no Savior like Gary around, and became tangled in his trot line. Happens quick...

·
Registered
615 Posts
Nice job paying attention and being able to rescue the man.

That's a great looking cooler. The one crab looks like king kong compared to the others.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Gary,
The guy you helped was a good friend of mine that was headed out to crab alongside me.

As you stated he was pretty much exhausted and out of options when you got to him

Thank You!

·
Registered
14,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gary,
The guy you helped was a good friend of mine that was headed out to crab alongside me.

As you stated he was pretty much exhausted and out of options when you got to him

Thank You!
You are welcome Francis. He was definitely out of gas. It happened so fast. Glad I was there..... Gary

·
Registered
510 Posts
That's a tight little dock, I'm very surprised his boat didn't run into something going in circles there. Glad you were able to help out and got crabs.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Way to go, the crab Gods repaid you for your good deed. People down here in south Florida have become very safety minded since the two boys were lost. Epirbs and other devices are flying off the shelves. Stuff can happen on a boat in a milasecond.

·
Registered
14,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What is so ironic about this whole incident is that this guy was behind me coming down Rt 2 to the ramp. I made a wrong turn in just before the ramp and he went ahead of me to launch. I turned around and then got in behind him at the ramp. Still way early so I really didn't stress. If I did not make that wrong turn, I would have launched and been gone. THINGS HAPPEN FOR A REASON IN LIFE................Gary

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
you deserve a medal for that life saving incident! VERY SCARY!!!! Too many accidents reported this summer - you being there prevented a tragedy no doubt. Good job my friend!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts