Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.
6,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fished a couple Magothy creeks this past Sunday afternoon for a total of about 4 hrs with young Christopher pictured below

Christopher mates on a charter part time during the summer break, loves fishing with the light rod, and is probably one of the most well behaved 16 year olds that I know of.
We found plenty of clean water to fish and a water temp hovering just shy of 50*. We had minnows with us but honestly didn't fool with em much at all. We landed 8 pickerels with the largest measuring an even 24" and one other at 23 1/4". A slow steady retrieve of a plain white 3" twisty tail casted towards obvious shoreline clutter seemed to work better than anything else we tried.
Towards the end of our day we were visited by DNR Police and it was the same lady that I'd met a month or so ago in another creek. She has been promoted to seargent and being moved to another location. Congratulations young lady. The Magothy definetly looses here, but the promotion doesn't surprise me at all.

She wouldn't let me video her so I snuck this shot as she parted.

Monday I fished with two young lads and had a little more time allotted to fish. Ryan Gary and his good friend Peter were dropped off at the ramp by Ryans dad Marty, whom many of you may know. Marty was going in to work, to work on the reef project while the boys did some pickerel fishing with ole Virg. Marty asked the boys prior to leaving, how many you guys think you'll catch today? The boys and I held a quick roundtable discussion and came up with the number 14.

The boys got down to business and honestly did most of the fishing and catching. Peter caught the first fish.

Peter's first pickerel he's ever caught, and a nice one at 20 7/8". The boys are very close friends and some friendly competition developed between them. They were keying more on numbers than size and in the end it was very close to a draw.

Ryan landed this 20 1/4" fish that was about ready to bust a gut. The pic honestly doesn't do the fish justice. Looked like a pregnant guppy. Prior to today he'd caught one other pickerel.

We hit a dry spell and pulled up stakes well short of our goal to catch 14 fish. We found a fishey looking spot in a different creek and
Ryan made a lucky cast that put him into a fight with a fish that was fit for a king.

A Magothy gator at 24 1/4". Ryan now has his dad beat in the pickerel category. Prior to today he'd caught one other pickerel so this fish is his new personal best.

Well, it was getting late in our day and we still needed 4 more fish to meet our quota. Marty would be at the ramp soon and the pressure was on. I thought of a special spot where I'd taken a special young lady that I found hopelessly fishing for a pickerel from shore last winter. We went to that magic spot and the boys pulled off a miraculous finish landing the 4 fish we needed to reach our goal.

I got to spend some time this past weekend fishing with some very nice young men. Thanks guys :).

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Nice job Virg. Congrats to the boys on the number and personal bests.

·
6,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Phil Krausz, I'm sure the boys will view the replies :) .

Steve F, thank you sir. :)

Capt. Nick :) , a whole new generation is a good thing. Sadly, I think we had a whole generation that practically missed it. ;)

Randallbk :) . Thank you. Then they ain't put together as bad as I thought. :eek:

Thanks so much Kevin :) . I gave him a map of the bay with a red X marked right on your creek. :D

Hi ya Hillbilly :) . Ice fishing? I ain't counting it out yet ;)

Mr Veil, you're quite welcomed sir. :) :)

Fisham, I hear ya man, and I just wish mine coule be little again, if only for a day.:)

·
6,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ele, he sure is off to a good start, that's for sure :) , but both boys did do pretty well in the catching catergory staying neck to neck to the end.

Frank G, good afternoon sir :) and yes sir, they all sure did enjoy themselves these two days.

Rocksandblues, and I thank you as well :) .

Hey Goose, it sure is young man :) , and it'll do my heart some good to read the post when you lay that Magothy/Severn gator upon the board for a measurement. ;)

Bone-a-Fide, thanks man :)

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Great pics, Virgil. Nothing better than teaching those kids to fish. I bet they're already better fishermen than most of us! As for the DNR officer, I'm sorry to hear she's leaving. She's checked me a few times, very nice, even gave the dog a treat, and then the last couple of times she just drove on by. Wish I could get the CG guys to do that out at the bridge. -Shawn

·
Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - I support Tidal
4,759 Posts
HOMETom Hughes Guide ServiceSusquehanna Flats Photo Gallery
Full Time Light Tackle & Fly Fishing Guide
Virgil: I had the pleasure of taking out Ryan and his dad during the fall. They were fishing for stripers and as usual Ryan out fished his dad. This pictures are great thanks for sharing your trip with us.

NOTE: There might be one place where Marty can out fish Ryan...give Marty a pack of BA 5" Electric Chickens and put him on the Susquehanna Flats.
Booking Trips on the Susquehanna Flats

1 - 20 of 26 Posts