Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reels, both baitcasters and spinning are often listed in sizes beginning with 1, 2, 3, etc. Example: Calcutta 200 B or Stradic 4000 FI. The first number usually tells you something about the size of a reel. For example, a Shimano 200 is smaller than a 400 series reel and that is still smaller than a 700 series.

I know from experience what each size looks like, but I'm asking if there is a reason for the number. Is it spool size, line capacity, or what?

·
Registered
849 Posts
hmmmmmm............good question, and i have absolutely no answer. can't wait to hear from someone more knowledgeable.
i think you will find there is also no real consistency between manufacturers.

bil

·
Premium Member
26,251 Posts
I could never figure it out with spinning or baitcasting.

The trolling reels go from size 2/0 up to 14/0 - as number gets bigger - so does the reel.

No idea why spinning / baitcasting does not have a similar rating.

Be a good question for " Jeopardy " .

·
Registered
633 Posts
I'll take a guess and say maybe there's a metric origin and its a measurement of drag pressure or line rating. 4000 grams = 4.0 kg = 8.8 pounds. And a big 7000 reel would be 15.5 lb. Like I said just a wild guess and the only thing I can think of that comes close to making sense.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Reels, both baitcasters and spinning are often listed in sizes beginning with 1, 2, 3, etc. Example: Calcutta 200 B or Stradic 4000 FI. The first number usually tells you something about the size of a reel. For example, a Shimano 200 is smaller than a 400 series reel and that is still smaller than a 700 series.

I know from experience what each size looks like, but I'm asking if there is a reason for the number. Is it spool size, line capacity, or what?
It's marketing, numerous manufactures place worthless information on products to make it appear more than it is. It's all about getting the consumers attention.

Imagine the Shimano Stradic 4000 MgFB simply being called Shimano Stradic 4 MgFB, Why do they need to place the MgFB on the end? The 4000 provides a strong presence on the product.

Consumers don't need to know by looking at a product that they use Mg on the outer casing.

My worthless .02

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Dam son, you need to go fishing..:peace:
Next thing you're going to want to know "How deep is my parachute if I let out 600ft of line with a 30oz in-line sinker trolling at 3mph... help:

On a more serious note (kind of) it really doesn't matter what those numbers mean cause by mid summer you're going to blow out the gears..reels going to be stepped on a few times...truck backed over it..red-dye stains (sorry Rich)..but I can guarantee it will be "fished-to death!"...:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Shawn--To deep for me --But I Did years ago have reels pumped up with SPECIAL FAST RATIOS for Spanish Mackerel light tackle Casting , It improved my Parties Catches 40%---Normal Mfg. Ratios are NOT Fast Enough --S M cruise at 17 KTS.--Feeding MUCH FASTER Thats why we when Trolling Seed up to 6.5 & More --i

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brothers
All I know is a 20,2000 or 2500 spin reel typically weighs under 10 ounces and holds between 120-160 yards of 8# test. Sort of like pick-up trucks

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
It is usually amount of line the reel will hold and the size and weight usually go up as the numbers increase. I was in a high end tackle store yesterday buying a yeti cooler and looking at 2 speed conventional reels. Talk about confusing the numbers make no sense and the reels like accurate and Fin Nor dont use numbers but just give them cutsy names like Talica,Marquesa,Boss extreme,Saltiga, Avet mx reels etc.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Great question. Looks like the question has come up in other places:

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=46532
http://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfishing-charters-forum/94833-reel-size.html
http://ezinearticles.com/?Choosing-the-Right-Fishing-Reel&id=3195504

Seems like there is no standard. Reel makers make their own decisions with a bigger number indicating a bigger reel but not comparable to other reel makers. Seems stupid. It would be nice if it referred to a standard line loading number (200 yards of 10 pound braid).

Doug

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Horsepower.

In other words, my observation of those numbers is no better than yours. And yours was good enough. Plus, they make finding parts much easier.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Jamie, that wasn't red dye the last time. It was blood. I also remember your 3000 would have been with the fishes if Shawn had not caught it the other day.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
This may be getting a little off the original topic, but I think Larry's show is the most exciting of all the fishing shows. I love that he uses baitcasters for salt and freshwater fish. The Curodo 300 DVS is an older model.

I recently got the new green 301 ES and it is a dandy. Got to use it at OI two weeks ago on ocean stripers. Mated it with a 7' Rainshadow RX7 Mag Bass 845 custom. Cast that large Sebile Magic Swimmer jointed plug and caught a 32 pounder on top on the first cast. I took the middle and rear hooks off and was having some trouble with the front hook catching the leader. But the reel will handle any striper that swims and in most situations where you will find stripers. The new green Curados are lower profile than the one in the video. The reel is bigger than needed in the bay most of the time; but if you are in a school of bruisers, the 301 is sweet. Larry said it has 15 pounds of drag, but I like jamming my thumb on the spool and pumping the fish to the boat. The 7' rod provides pretty good cushion, unless the bass is swimming hard in the other direction. The drag is very smooth. 30 pound Suffix braid, 50 pound Ande FC leader and the Curado 301 provides plenty of grunt for ocean stripers.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Bill, I have the 201 Curado...very nice reel...Do you use 30# all of the time?....Or just in the ocean?...I normally use 10#..

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
ok I'll take a shot, the 500 series spinner is usually the ultralight, the 1000 is a small bass reel, the 2000 is a larger bass saltwater crossover, the 4000 is saltwater and a good catfish size. Over that its a guess. Surf spinners come in various names and numbers. Conventional reels have their own deal. I have a 5000 levelwind that can't go nearly as long as a decent 4000 spinner but my ABU 5500 "striper" could stop a truck. The 6000 series levelwinds are great long casting reels, with modification. The 7000 conventionals also can be good casting reels, but are now encroaching on 3/0 tackle. Now we're talking 4/0 tackle. Does anyone cast 4/0 gear?

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Bill, I have the 201 Curado...very nice reel...Do you use 30# all of the time?....Or just in the ocean?...I normally use 10#..
I use Suffix 20 for my Curado 201's and 30 for my 301 and 401 TE. Larry Dalhberg uses 65 # PP on his Curado 300 series which is plenty heavy but he catches some unusual monsters on it. I cannot imagine using 10 in the ocean when the big fish are snapping. I want to get them in as fast as possible and see if the next one is bigger. May head south for Wed. Got a good report but it looks like a one day deal at this point. It is a long way for one day but I may do it anyway. This will be my last ocean trip this winter. Fish to 46 pounds last trip. I did not catch it but did get a 44 that was fat and sassy.

One reason for going heavier with big fish is that the thinner braid may cut in the spool with heavy drag pressure. Then the next cast will be a disaster. I know you catch some hogs but may not pressure them quite as much. I am all about getting the fish to the boat as quickly as the tackle will allow.

I do use 10 pound on my 3000 spinners for the bay to handle light lures.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts