Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted a short trip today; Jack Lawson and I chose to wire line at the Cbbt ; Few folks wire line at CBBT any longer, but I considered that may be the only way to catch a rockfish. We caught one just south of the third island. Saw none others caught; when we arrived at 10 am; there was no one fishing; I guess because the rockfish are so scarce...some Tog anglers arrived by 11 am. We caught one 36 inch rockfish south of the 3rd island. Fished two more hours without luck. Nice day, short tirp as planned and slick calm seas. DR. BOB ALLEN, SALT PONDS MARINA

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Are you pulling true wire, or power pro type braided line. I have two reels with wire, which have frayed. Looking to switch over. Any thoughts.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Nice fish

Wanted a short trip today; Jack Lawson and I chose to wire line at the Cbbt ; Few folks wire line at CBBT any longer, but I considered that may be the only way to catch a rockfish. We caught one just south of the third island. Saw none others caught; when we arrived at 10 am; there was no one fishing; I guess because the rockfish are so scarce...some Tog anglers arrived by 11 am. We caught one 36 inch rockfish south of the 3rd island. Fished two more hours without luck. Nice day, short tirp as planned and slick calm seas. DR. BOB ALLEN, SALT PONDS MARINA
Great catch!!
BTW stripers are very plentiful from Wolf Trap to Maryland. Unfortunately thousands are being wasted because of the 20" minmum.
Expect to see a good run of trophy stripers next weekend!!

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Good job Doc. I used to have some wireline reels on my Penn 320s but using braid now. But you really can't wireline effectively with braid as it can't stand being dragged against rocks or pilings for long. I think most use live bait to target big rocks now. Good to see old school still works.
I quit using wire on my boat a while back, but friends still use it. I feel braid works much better (easier) than wire, but does have limitations. Like Mike said, abrasion resistance is terrible! I lost Big fish, 32oz lead and favorite lure last trip because it snapped at what I am sure was nick. It needs to be checked for nicks/wear - cut off 5-6' and retied every so often. If a tangle happens, braid is a real PITA.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts