Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A long read but worth it I hope. Well we got a late start yesterday and I had a crew of myself, little Craig or Jr, and Steve, a rockfish "cherry" and freshwater fisherman from the DC area on board with me. He drove down specifically to fish me myself and my son. They both go back to college tomorrow (sunday) from there X-mas break. Craig Jr doesnt fish with me a whole lot any more and has never caught a paper fish. Knowing all the big fish that were being caught I thought maybe I could get these young men there first citations and have a good story to tell when they got back to school. My plan was to go to drift the high rise in the late afternoon and then drop the hook and fish we picked up our paperwork a couple of weeks ago. Well to start with I got to play captain, mate, anchor boy, net boy, and who knows what else yesterday,lol.( I knew it going in, so I cant complain-:cool: ) So we started out drifting around the high rise with very little if any current and only 1 or 2 quick runs in an hour of fishing. Man , I thought oh no, if I dont put these boys on some fish , I will be very dissapointed. Little Craig did catch a decent fish at 41" last week but the largest fish Steve had ever caught was a 30" bonita . Anyway, I decided to run around to the ocean and set up outside of fishermans island after hearing a radio report of some large being caught in that area. Almost immediately after setting up, one of the deeper lines started going off and then, you guessed it , a dogfish:mad: I was removing the hook from it's mouth- (I impressed the "tough guys" by grabbing the "horn dog" to remove the hook,lol. )About that time another rod started doing the same thing and I was like"oh no", here we go. But not to be, Steve picked it up and I netted for him the largest fish he had ever caught, a nice 42" rockfish. I asked him if he wanted to keep the fish to eat or release her and maybe catch a bigger fish later on back in the bay where we couldnt have any in our possesion. He told me he wanted some meat but he also asked" bigger fish?", Sweet!, go ahead and release her. If we didnt catch another fish today I was happy and he was ecstatic!. Then it happened, lines back over and we were covered up in dogfish, We caught 7 more in short order and the captain, mate, anchor boy and eel rigger said to hell with this we are moving! About the time we got the last line in the bottom machine Lit up!. I said "Oh S**T, the dogs just heard the dinner bell and I couldnt get out of there fast enough!! So I pointed the bow back around to the high rise and said at least we didnt catch any dogs at the bridge, lets see if the tide had started moving and hopefully we will do a little better. Well we got over to the bridge, I looked and the current was moving out a little, the sun was getting low and I decided to anchor up and give it another go. Well, almost immediately Jr. hooked up again with what would be his first citation ever, a fat 45" rockfish. Then Steve caught another 41 or 42" fish, I am a happy camper now. Then I hear- "dad you get the next one", so reluctantly :)D), I did and it was another release citation at 44 and some change. All right- Steve, gets the next one- i want that boy to get paper bad. Anyways then the bite slowed for awhile, we were sitting around joking and having a good time when one of the rods straight down was just jumping around like a typical dogfish and I was like, damn, craig jr, reel in that dogfish. At the same time the short line on the other side of the boat starts screaming and i said "yes!, here is Steve's paper. I looked back at Craig and he said to me that it wasnt a dogfish , he was hooked up to another rockfish!. Double hook up- **** I now have to net two fish at what looks like will be the same time. I want to net Steves fish first since Jr already had his paper but Craigs fish wascloser to the boat. I could see the big mouth and knew it was a big fish. But, I told him to keep his fish in the water cause Steves was getting close and I wanted to get his first. Well that wasnt going over to good with Jr and again I could see it was large so I netted the fish and had to get him to help me lift it over the side onto the deck- Holy Cow!:D I rushed to get her out of the net and get to Steves fish which I did and saw a pretty dand nice fish and quickly got it in the boat and layed her in the boat beside Craig Jr's. Now to make a long story a little shorter Steves fish was 42" . but laying there beside the other fish it was "small". Steve looked at the fish and was in schock, as was I. I measured the fish and although it came in at "only " 47" it was friggen huge with a very large head and a heck of a girth. Man, I then told the boys, craig you are in the 50 pound club !. I have caught a lot of rockfish in my lifetime but never one as large as his and the 42 pound one that Mike caught on my boat last week was a pup compared to this fish. Well, I said we gotta let her go, pick her up and lets get a quick pick and release her. I dont think I mentioned earlier that I had forgotten my camera but the boys both had camera phones so even though the quality was not great we did get a few pics of the boys fish. The both of us had to hold her when we put her back in the water to revive her and she like d to ripped my hand off to swim away 5 seconds after she hit the water. I would loved to know what she weighed but it sure felt good to see her swim away too as it did with all the fish yesterday. Well to end this long tale (not just my average rockfish story), we ended up catching a couple more but never did get Steve his paper. He got carried into the bridge with another large fish a little later but we never did get a look at the fish. By 7 oclock these college baseball pitchers were talking about how "sore" their arms were and i was starting to hurt a little myself. My hands all cut and bruised, my back totally sore( and hurting pretty good this morning I might add), that I told them one more hour- at 8 oclock we are done. So we headed back to Lynnhaven with these kids talking about how it was their best day fishing ever! Steve had caught the biggest fish in his life, and although I was dissapointed I didnt get Steve his first citation, I felt really good that they had such a great time, and they will go back to school tomorrow with some stories to tell. The cell phone pix are very decieving and the quality kinda poor and as soon as I can get them downloaded I will post them up. The final total fore the day was 4 fish from 41 to 43", 1 -44", 1- 45" and the slob at 47". Oh yea- 8 dogfish ( the boys were keeping count) and one skate caught while I was doing the cockpit boogie. :eek:. Out of the 18 eels I bought yesterday final total used was 7 !:eek::eek:. Guess I wil have to go use em up tomorrow after my body has recovered some. I know this was a really long post and I dont really like to make such a long one when there are really so many big rockfish being caught, but this was a very enjoyable trip and thought I would try and retell the story ! My younger son Marlon called from VMI after we got home and was none too very happy about our trip,and his older brother and us catching allthose nice fish while he was stuck in his dorm. (I couldnt really blame him but Ill make it up to him in the futere I hope). Again, I will put up some pix later and hope you guys enjoyed the trip as much as I did!

Craig Sr- Captain, Mate and Anchor boy, net boy extrodinaire!:)

again sorry for the grainey images but they are a lot better than none at all,lol

Attachments

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Nice report Craig. Sounds like you found the same doggie hole I did yesterday! We decided it was time to leave when we saw schools of them swimming on the surface.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey darren, thanx, we were in them thick but they sure weren't schooling on top like the ones you guys saw were!!! Im glad we didnt find that hole!!!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
That's an awesome day fishing Craig...glad you stuck to your plan and didn't let the doogies eat you up. Congrats on Jr. getting his first paper and joining the 50 club unofficially. It would have been nice to have that 50 plaque on the wall but it does feel great letting those slobs go. Hopefully she stayed put and didn't join the rest of the slobs that went to the food bank this weekend. I heard they had pickups full of slob rockfish.

BTW...when you are the captian,mate,baitboy,fishcleaner it sucks. Hopefully they could swab the deck:D

·
Registered
303 Posts
good job there miles,those boys of yours are lucky to have you as thier pop.and good luck with the sore back i feel your pain.:)

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Isn't it nice to hear...

..the young folks complain about being sore. I thought that was just reserved for us old guys!

Way to go, Craig, and nice write up, you illiterate!!;) You sure showed the young'uns a good time. They probably won't find that much action back at school playing pitch and hit!

It's been a good season and I hope it keeps on cookin'.

I had to go to Richmond these past two days and today sure was a beauty. I don't think you'll go back to work if this keeps up..but how are you going to claim "disability" when you're hauling in citations? :D

One more thing.....what is that 3rd hand doing in the last pic? Weird goings on in the cockpit!!!!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanx everyone, i appreciate the kind words- Tom , the third hand was me trying to keep his butt from falling overboard !
i saw "who me steve" in jimmy's today and he told me there was a shulson sighting!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.