Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent the week in Hatteras with some good friends fishing the surf and coastal bays. Early part of the week we scored some nice spotted trout and flounder out of the surf. On Wednesday, watched some locals launch a boat in the surf and put out 1/4 mile long gill net. Pulling the net in only caught about 20 fish; mostly mullet, a few puppy drum and sea trout.

Yesterday, took the kayak out beyond the breakers. Found tons of bait -- but the fish seemed to have lock-jaw. Unfortunately, no one was catching fish from the beach yesterday.

Today, took an inshore charter out in the afternoon. Puppy drum was the fish of the day. Got our limit of 20" - 24" fish. In the afternoon, the sun came out, the wind laid down -- very nice afternoon on the water.

Having a pot luck dinner tonight eating-up the left overs and heading home tomorrow. Good week, great friends, and okay fishing.

Dan

·
Registered
373 Posts
DW Thanks for the report. A couple of years ago I watched sme fellows put out a net off the beach and haul in a bunch of Stripers and Sharks, I mean big Hammerheads as well as some smaller sharks. They took the Stripers and left the sharks to die on the beach.

I'm going to be in staying in Avon next weekend and was wondering if you could put a little more meat on the bones of your report. Where's Hatteras Village? What did you catch the Trout on? What's the name and phone number of the inshore charter and where did you put out from.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's just the way it goes down on HI.:eek2:

I just rolled in from being out of town, sorry I missed you. Check your PMs.

Hope you had a safe drive home.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sehguhll: Thanks for the offer -- sorry we did catch-up. Hopefully next time.

Capt. Walt: Hatteras Village is mile marker 72, about 60 miles from Nags Head. In the surf the trout were hitting a 1/2 - 3/4 jighead, with a green, white or red bass assassin or shad. The charter was out of Teachers Marina on the Halleulia. Head out behind the inlet, fished the edges of the shoals. Puppy drum hit both jigs and cut mullet using a bottom rig, 2 oz round sinker(fish finder rig) with 18" leader to a 1/0 - 2/0 circle hook.

Good Luck.

Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts