Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My name is Rick and I've been an on and off visitor of the forum over the years. I finally talked my wife into a Northern Neck/ Middle Peninsula vacation which will begin 7/23. I can't wait! We will stay on the water at the mouth of the North River between Raymond Creek and Cedar Point on the North Bank. I sold my 26' Cobia last fall so all that I have left is my Triton 1650sc Jet Tin rig which I use to fish for Smallies in the Shenandoah here close to home. My 2 daughters (10 & 13) love to fish and I was hoping to put them on some Croaker. In looking at the Navionics App map I see a channel mid river so I figure we will set up on the edge and try our luck. So after all this rambling my questions are am I on the right track? and should I be concerned with such a smallish boat? I assume it will be weather dependent? Are there any Redfish in the shallows of that area. I figured my rig would be ideal for shallow water Reds and Trout? Of course we plan on doing alot of crabbing too. Both girls love to pick crabs!

Thanks for your time and input,
Rick Elrod

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Hey Rick! I just moved down to this area last year an have not spent any time on water back that way other than riding in to get boat work done. but I have fishing buddy thats does some skinny water fisher there near his home. I do remember last month he was catching some pretty nice rock but no reds and only a small speck. ( some big croaker were hitting his lures also) Just a suggestion,This area is not considered part of NN and question may get better answers on the Va forum

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Oh, he fishes out of 14' Jon boat when there on north river. ( he also has 35' Evans , dock near me . I have place @ new Point lighthouse

·
Registered
328 Posts
Rick,

I'd love to see you bring over your family for a day over to Cape Charles for the Queen of the Bay Pier Tourney. This tourney is designed with families like yours in mind. Make it an adventure. It is a great scenic drive from the Middle Peninsula. I've made the trip several times over the past year from White Stone and I've always seemed to avoid any traffic (even on 4th of July).

We don't yet have any anglers representing the Middle Peninsula yet. Your two daughters would be in the cat-bird seat for grand prize Queen of the Bay Division since they can submit catches in three of the four possible major divisions. You can assist the girls in the Youth Division, but they will need catch on their own for the Lady and Open Divisions. They are eligible for $850 in cash prizes.

Cape Charles is cool little town on the water over on the Eastern Shore. Some great eats in town and a nice beach. The long range weather looks good for your vacation. Here is the link if you didn't see my previous post on the forum: http://fishdispatch.com/queen-of-the-bay.html

Joe posts . . .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply HeyCharlie. I have good electronics on my rig so if weather allows i will buzz around and see what happens. I have booked a trip Monday AM with a local light tackle guide. I hope to learn and get some info from him! I just looked up New Point Lighthouse. You look to be about 5 or 6 miles down from us by water. Looks like a great spot! Easy access to everything!

Rick

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Joe, thank you for the invite! My Mom lives up in Parksley right next to Johnsons landing on the creek. We have been down to Cape Charles on the 4th of July. Great place! Unfortunately I doubt we will be able to make the drive over for the tourney.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Joe, thank you for the invite! My Mom lives up in Parksley right next to Johnsons landing on the creek. We have been down to Cape Charles on the 4th of July. Great place! Unfortunately I doubt we will be able to make the drive over for the tourney.
Gotcha. Just keep it in mind since you are in striking distance. You can follow the event via the Live Leaderboard to see all the results and who is competing. The results are updated nearly instantaneous with the catches (short delay between measurement and when we fat finger in the data from the catch card). ... but the point being is that you will know where everyone stands as the tourney progresses through to Saturday, much like a four day golf tourney.

If the leaderboard gets too cluttery, there is a summary page that shows just the anglers in the prize money.

Ignore the current catch data. I'll begin clearing that out by the weekend as we stand up for the start of fishing high noon on the 27th.

Joe posts . . .

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Thanks for the reply HeyCharlie. I have good electronics on my rig so if weather allows i will buzz around and see what happens. I have booked a trip Monday AM with a local light tackle guide. I hope to learn and get some info from him! I just looked up New Point Lighthouse. You look to be about 5 or 6 miles down from us by water. Looks like a great spot! Easy access to everything!

Rick
I am generally on water 3x a week (having some blood pressure problems this week, waiting to see doc tomorrow) BUT I am sure I will be back out soon.'
I monitor 68 when on water feel free to holler out.
If you want to try some spade/ cobia -- I like this guy. he's in same Marina as I. http://www.chescharters.com/

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info Charlie. Hope you get that BP under control. Be nice to "run into you" while down there!

Rick

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Getting ready to go see him now,,, to be honest, I did a bit of self doctoring--dropped one of my BP meds and its much better now!
Hope he says its ok..

I recently changed diet to low carb low sugar, lost 30#weight pretty easily! I understand many have dropped all BP meds after eating correctly!

·
Registered
328 Posts
HotRod66,

If by chance you re-consider, here is a little insight into the competition your girls might face captured by the Cape Charles Mirror.

http://www.capecharlesmirror.com/news/featured-anglers-of-the-upcoming-cape-charles-queen-of-the-bay-pier-fishing-tourney/

I'm betting your girls are more experienced than the team "Fishful Thinking" mentioned in the article, but no telling (we just had a kid who grew up in our church win a PGA tourney a couple of weeks ago - $1.234 M ... not a bad haul for four days of work ... and he should have never even been in it had it not been for a special invite by Tiger Woods). My point is .. I'm not ruling anyone out on this .. up for grabs.

If not your girls, mention this to your mom up in Parksley. I also have some family on that side of the Bay (Onancock). She would probably know my brother Tim and his wife Dana.

Joe posts . . .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Getting ready to go see him now,,, to be honest, I did a bit of self doctoring--dropped one of my BP meds and its much better now!
Hope he says its ok..

I recently changed diet to low carb low sugar, lost 30#weight pretty easily! I understand many have dropped all BP meds after eating correctly!
No doubt diet can make a big difference, especially as we get older. I have hereditary Cholesterol issues and meds seem to be the only way. I cut 25lbs last year to get down to 183. Cholesterol #s went down some but not much.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HotRod66,

If by chance you re-consider, here is a little insight into the competition your girls might face captured by the Cape Charles Mirror.

http://www.capecharlesmirror.com/news/featured-anglers-of-the-upcoming-cape-charles-queen-of-the-bay-pier-fishing-tourney/

I'm betting your girls are more experienced than the team "Fishful Thinking" mentioned in the article, but no telling (we just had a kid who grew up in our church win a PGA tourney a couple of weeks ago - $1.234 M ... not a bad haul for four days of work ... and he should have never even been in it had it not been for a special invite by Tiger Woods). My point is .. I'm not ruling anyone out on this .. up for grabs.

If not your girls, mention this to your mom up in Parksley. I also have some family on that side of the Bay (Onancock). She would probably know my brother Tim and his wife Dana.

Joe posts . . .

Joe, again thanks but thats likely a 3 hour drive each way from where we will be staying. Hope the event is a success!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Joe, again thanks but thats likely a 3 hour drive each way from where we will be staying. Hope the event is a success!
Rick,

It is two hours from White Stone each way. You should be no further than an 1.5 hours from the Mobjack area (each way). I'm not trying to change your mind, but I did want to point out the correction. Plug it in on Google Maps.

By boat, you could get there in about 1/2 hour.

BTW, I get it. When I'm on vacation on the Bay, I'm happy to stay right where I am :yes:

Joe posts . . .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Joe, If I had my old boat I would consider making the run but crossing in my Triton 1650 Tin rig might be a little scary! lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hope he says its ok..

Everything go ok?

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Yep, I am doing great -my new doc, said I was correct in dropping med. ( would you ever think someone would hear that?)
By simply eating correctly (2 mths?) . I have corrected other issues that Doc's said surgery was needed to correct. no BS.

Eat more fish! :thumbup:
Crabs Too!

Fished today, post is on Virginia forum.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep, I am doing great -my new doc, said I was correct in dropping med. ( would you ever think someone would hear that?)
By simply eating correctly (2 mths?) . I have corrected other issues that Doc's said surgery was needed to correct. no BS.

Eat more fish! :thumbup:
Crabs Too!

Fished today, post is on Virginia forum.
Fantastic! We are headed down in the AM. Can't wait to smell the salty air, get the boat wet, set the pots, and crack a coldie!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts