Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About a month ago a friend, Tige, emailed me and asked if I was up for some bone fishing on Abaco for a few days in late January, easy question to answer of course :yes: Tige, myself and another friend, Fletcher, all worked together at AOL, each in a different division, Tige in the venture group, me in marketing/biz development and Fletcher in mail. While different projects brought us together, fishing is what solidified our relationship and we stay in touch, get together on land and fish together a few times year . Tige and I have since left AOL, but all of get together on the water at least once a year in the fall to chase some stripers on the long rod on the Chesapeake. This year we got jammed for our weekend because of weather and then schedules and weather never allowed us to make it happen. Tige's partnership owns a company called Exclusive Resorts that has some insane homes all over the world and he thought that since we did not get together on the Chesapeake it would be a good idea to get together in a warm place. He was able to wrangle a good fishing hut for us on Abaco, I lined up some guides I know and have fished with over the years, Tige invited his father in law and his twin brother who are insane fishing fanatics, his childhood friend Mark, and a mutual friend of Fletcher and Tige's, Phil and we had a fishing posse ready to roll. The seven of us arrived on Saturday, loaded up some food and headed to the fish camp. I must say it was a pretty sweet fish camp. Overall the fishing was OK, it literally blew 15-25knts in all the areas we fished, Cherokee Sound and the Marls, and while it was warmer then being in Maryland, it was still chilly. The morning I left I had to wear a polar fleece jacket and long pants because it was that cold, crazy, but true. The locals I know there said the whole winter has been like that. The guides worked really hard to find us fish and a few of us managed to catch a few fish a day. Phil had never caught a bonefish and on the last day managed to get the biggest one of the trip which was pretty exciting.

I am getting ready for this next big storm and packing to head out again early next week. The next fishing adventure brings me to Argentina where I will travel with my friend Tom and Barrett. Our first stop brings to to northern Argentina for about twelve days to stay with a friend, Peto, who is a spectacular fly fishing guide on the Rio Parana where we will chase golden dorado, pacu and pira pita. We will then head to BA for two days to catch up on everything and then head for a pretty serious expedition to Terra Del Fuego, Chile to fish some never before fly fished rivers in search of BIG sea run brown trout. They may be the southern most rivers ever fished in the world on a latitude below the Irigoyen River which I fished two years ago. That expedition will put me off the grid, but I will have my trusty Spot and we have a film crew coming with us to film it for a TV show, so we should get some good footage, I hope :thumbup:

Here are some pics from the Abaco trip, hope you enjoy.
Getting off the plane

Tige and Mark cooking some grub

Some more cooking

Wounded soldiers

A Bahamas taxi

Getting out of our Bahamas "taxi"

Heading out to fish Cherokee Sound in some wicket wind

Me with a bonefish

Ishey Poling us to some bones

Dave hooked up

Dave with a bonefish

Me getting off the boat bundled up after a cold wet ride home

Chillin and getting ready for some football after fishing the day on Cherokee Sound

Phil with his first bonefish ever and he got it on the fly

Me with a bone

More cooking

Heading out into the Marls with Captain Odie

Dave with a Marls bonefish

Chillin on the porch after a day of bonefishing

The crew minus Fletch and I

Another bonefish that fell victim to a Blanco Bunny Fly

Odie and his son Drexel of O'Donald and Sons Fly Fishing Guides

Tige had some people from the club come over and cook for us the night of the playoffs. Fabulous meal that started off with coconut shrimp and conch fritters and a main course of lobster, steak and a bunch of side followed bay some tasty home made deserts. We moved the table in front of the TV which is behind the camera lady so we had a front row view of the game. It does not get too much better then that after a good day of fishing

A wounded home made key lime pie among other deserts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Great pics!! It’s so nice to look at that beautiful water... but then I come back to reality and remember the 12-20" of snow that is coming tonight! I need a vacation somewhere warm!

Thanks Brandon

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
We are planning a trip to Abaco Island next winter. We bought a trip at a CCA banquet. Looks like a good time was had by all.

Ele

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Charlie

I did go up one line weight and fished a 9wt, normally fish an 8wt. I matched the line to the rod weight fishing a 9wt Rio Bonefish Taper. I love the line and it casts like a dream on the Sage XP's for me. One thing fly anglers have a tendency to do is to go way up on line wt and rod wt when the wind is up; I think it does help, but at the end of the day you can cast a 6 or 7wt in that wind with the right casting stroke. The key is a tight loop as well as keeping the line low via a side arm style cast. My casting stroke is more side arm then upright so its more natural for me in the wind. If you keep a tight loop on your back and forward cast and the line low you'll do fine, have a big loop and you are in for a world of trouble. I am certainly not perfect all the time in the wind and I used to hate even trying to fly cast in the wind, but spending a lot of time on the flats and in places like Terra Del Fuego where the wind always blows it was either learn how to cast in the wind or not catch any fish. After a lot of hitting myself in the back and in the back of the head and having some pretty amazingly ugly casts and missed fish I managed to get my act together and am pretty decent in the wind now with a floating line, a sinking line is even easier, at least for me because of the weight of the line helping cut the wind.

I also think a lot of fly anglers do not practice enough, then get out there and think you can just pick it up and go. I fished with one guy on this trip who wanted to practice while looking for fish. It's a deal killer, one because that is not the time to practice and two because casting like that spooks fish, sometimes you do not see the fish, think you are just practicing and it's spooking fish. The fish can see the shadow and in some cases hear your line if you drop it in on the water. Every day I try to make a hundred casts or so; when I am at the office for a break I will go out on the side lawn or in the parking lot and make a bunch of casts. It really helps me keep the feel of my stroke. Even practicing every other day or three days helps if you do not want to do it every day.

Sorry for the rant, sitting here looking out the window waiting for this snow to come and go...more looking for it to go and get out of here:))

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I can't take any more fish eye!!!

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Come on Josh, I am addicted to it:)) Plus I really do think it makes photos more interesting:28:

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Those are great photos. Thanks for sharing your adventures. I was a bit surprised to see bananas prominently displayed on the kitchen counter during a fishing outing!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Brandon,

Thanks for the info on casting in the wind. I'm an old freshwater flyfisher who now lives on the bay. I have a 3 piece 9ft travel Sage in 9 wt. It's about 10 of 15 yrs old. My son and I use it for rock on the Northern Neck around structure with Clousers and sinking line. I'm not a purist so we also use light spinning gear when we can't get them to take flies. My boat is a cuddy V20 Wellcraft so we usually anchor or drift and cast up tide and drift our offerings over rocks and around pilings similar to fishing a trout stream up and across. I read somewhere that you could actually cast better in the wind with lighter rods and lines than a 9wt and was just wondering if you were using a 7or 8wt. I don't own any saltwater fly rods that light so I use the 9 wt for everything down here.

Charlie

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Charlie

I would not say I am a purist either, although I definitely lean more towards the fly rod side of things then anything else these days just because of the challenge.

That 9wt you have will do the trick for just about all your fishing on the Chesapeake. My go to rod on the Chesapeake is a 8wt Sage XP with a Rio 250 and a 350 Striper line. I rarely if ever use a floating line, even in my shallow water fishing. When I fish shallow water I just strip faster and use a longer leader and control stripping speed, leader length and fly weight to adjust what depth zone the fly stays in.

I tried casting out by back porch door today and the only depth by fly was in was in about 35+ inches of snow:eek2::))

·
Registered
334 Posts
Brandon,

I just replaced my sinking Rio 350 line with a Scientific Anglers Striper line in 300, I think. The problem we have with these heavy sinking lines is that the barnacles on the structure really eats them up and at $65 to $75 a pop it not cheap to keep them in great shape. I would have gone with the same line, but I was at BPS in Hampton and that's what they had on hand at the time. Have you ever tried the Sci Angler lines? I had good success with them on my trout Sage 5 wt. They seem to really be slick and shoot well. I haven't cast my new 9 wt striper line because I was all psyched to go again and then my outboard threw a rod and the season was done for me in early December.

You would have had a heck of a time casting yesterday down here due to the NE wind whipping along at 40mph. I guess you could have faced into the wind and back cast to your target. We have as much snow impaled to the pine tree trunks as we had on the lawn. The past few weeks it's look like scenes from Dr. Zhivago. The deer and othe critters are working overtime just to make it. Emergency rations seem to be holly berries and they don't seem to be afraid to come near the house to get them. It does upset my Brittany though.

When I moved down here in 2005 from Richmond I thought you could catch stripers with wt forward floating tapers and poppers. Didn't have much success and used my son's knowledge to go to the sinking line and clousers. He was very proficient when he lived in Norfolk fishing at night and he did well with the gray trout around Lynhaven and in the Layayette river. He used black and red clousers. He said that the key was the slowww retrieve. Well nice visiting with you.

Charlie

1 - 17 of 17 Posts