Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading about so called 'ghost fishing' where crab pots are abandoned and kill massive amounts of fish unnecessarily over many years, impacting many species' population numbers. I'm up in Maine and not a lot is being done about discouraging this, what about in other states?

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
They made a big deal about them like 10 years ago and subsidized watermen to drag for them during the winter. Not sure if they still do. They’ve been around since the crab pot was invented. I don’t think they do the harm some claim. I actually think they’re beneficial until they rust away

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They made a big deal about them like 10 years ago and subsidized watermen to drag for them during the winter. Not sure if they still do. They’ve been around since the crab pot was invented. I don’t think they do the harm some claim. I actually think they’re beneficial until they rust away
Can't imagine they're very beneficial, all I've read is how they're depleting fish populations.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I still think they'd be an issue as they're disrupting the usual food chain/ecosystem which can't be good, and unnecessarily capturing and killing crab.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I've marked some ghost pots with my Lowrance Gen3 Structure Scan around one of my blue cat, striper holes.
The surrounding depth is 10'-15' I believe where the pot was supposed to be. It is now in 18'-22'.
The float just can't make to the surface.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts