Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard/read any follow-up or confirmation about Doin Time's catch, as reportedly heard over the radio by Skip and others a few days ago?. The longest confirmed rec-caught fish that I've read about in the MD Bay was a skinny 55-incher about five years ago that weighed in the mid-50s. A 57-incher, especially with all of the bait around, would almost certainly be a state record and possibly a world record.

So, was this a "radio fish," or did it maintain its length all the way to the tackle store?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I think I read that 1 or 2 guys on the board knew him,can someone give him a quick call ?

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
On the radio- he was claiming that it weighed 60lbs... I havent seen a confirmation though...

·
Registered
738 Posts
Is this the one. Maryland dnr website

Fishermen have been covering most of the popular locations that continue to produce when trolling for large fish. Umbrella rigs with parachutes or bucktails festooned with 9" sassy shads are the order of the day; white has tended to be the color of choice due to clear water conditions but chartreuse is of course always a popular choice. Recently a number of fishermen have been reporting that chartreuse has been out fishing white in the lower Potomac River. The best fishing success has been in water over 50' deep but fishermen make a point that most fish are coming off the planer boards and at 25' or less from the surface. Tiffany Cureau recently caught this 57-pound whopper while trolling on a charter boat out of the Solomons

·
Registered
105 Posts
57 inch fish

There was a report of a 57 inch 63 lb fish caught off Thomas point within the last week in Bill Burton's fishing report, but that was two guys no a loner. It was weighed in at Angler's.

Paul

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
It's def. not the fish pictured above because that is DNR's report from last week. They haven't updated it yet. They should do that sometime today. Maybe there will be some info when they do.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's nice to have a year where so many huge fish are being caught that a 57-incher gets lost in the mix!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
What caught my eye was the 52 incher caught in the Severn River. :bigfish:

Giant rockfish helps Queenstown man earn stripes -- baltimoresun.com
THERE ARE NO BIG FISH IN THE SEVERN RIVER.....I REPEAT THERE ARE NO BIG FISH IN THE SEVERN RIVER....... That guy was clearly lying it was probably..... uh..... the Magothy. Yep definetly the Magothy:D:D:D:D:D.

But seriously Bay Ridge is on the Bay it is just "technically speaking" with-in the official boundry line of what folks consider the mouth of the river. But it is on the bay.

-Evans

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
The boat is slipped on Kent Island so maybe he checked it in over the eastern shore and our local papers have not yet gotten pictures.

He said the boat name over the VHF - no reason to lie about a fish like that.

Now if it was "Bayliner 16" :rolleyes: - different story.I heard the captain say he was not on TF so that could be way it is not here.

Give it a few more days to reach the media/DNR website.I'm sure where ever it was weighed in will forward photos.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Doin' Time Captain

I had a chance to talk to Pat, the Capt of the subject boat, at lunch time today. The 57" fish was actually caught by his friend Dave. The fish was not as heavy as they expected and weighed in at "only" 61 lbs. Because this fish weighed less than they had hoped for, they did not go to an official weigh-in station. They cleaned and ate the fish.
The fish was caught on a 3" Panther Martin swim shad in tandem with a 6". When he showed me the bait, it was hard to believe one could land a fish that big while trolling with a bait and hook that small. The 3" shads were a gift and he only started using them this summer when he ran out of other baits. When they kept producing, he left them in the spread.
He uses various in-line weights and trolls several baits greater than 120-140 ft from the boat. He trolls very slowly and when he marks fish he slows to bare steerageway (until the planers start to lose track) and at times turns the boat. To summarize his tactics; "cover as much of the water as possible with your baits (vertically and horizontally) and go slow."
Pat has landed several big fish this year, including a 63 lb one in the spring.
The name of his boat says it all, he spends more time out on the water than anyone else I know. This in part, is the reason for his success. I should know, his boat is across from me and he gets great pleasure out of showing me a huge fish almost everytime I see him.
Mark

p.s. Pat said he would send me pictures once he has them developed and scanned. He doesn't carry a digital camera.
You have to understand, this is really not a big deal to him. As he said, "it's just a fish, we cleaned it, ate it, and it was delicious."

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
I give him credit and tip my hat to him. Sounds like he is an excellent fisherman. He fished circles around me that day when i couldnt buy a bite. Thank him for sharing his knowledge!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maryland State Record for a Chesapeake Bay caught rockfish is 67lbs 8 oz , caught in 1995 off Bloody Point. length unknown.
Surf caught record is 52lbs 8 oz , 52" , caught in 2003

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
You can see the 92 pound mount at the DNR office. There are actually two mounts of that fish. Both are at the DNR.

Can you imagine.... 92 pounds?!

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had a chance to talk to Pat, the Capt of the subject boat, at lunch time today. The 57" fish was actually caught by his friend Dave. The fish was not as heavy as they expected and weighed in at "only" 61 lbs. Because this fish weighed less than they had hoped for, they did not go to an official weigh-in station. They cleaned and ate the fish.
The fish was caught on a 3" Panther Martin swim shad in tandem with a 6". When he showed me the bait, it was hard to believe one could land a fish that big while trolling with a bait and hook that small. The 3" shads were a gift and he only started using them this summer when he ran out of other baits. When they kept producing, he left them in the spread.
He uses various in-line weights and trolls several baits greater than 120-140 ft from the boat. He trolls very slowly and when he marks fish he slows to bare steerageway (until the planers start to lose track) and at times turns the boat. To summarize his tactics; "cover as much of the water as possible with your baits (vertically and horizontally) and go slow."
Pat has landed several big fish this year, including a 63 lb one in the spring.
The name of his boat says it all, he spends more time out on the water than anyone else I know. This in part, is the reason for his success. I should know, his boat is across from me and he gets great pleasure out of showing me a huge fish almost everytime I see him.
Mark

p.s. Pat said he would send me pictures once he has them developed and scanned. He doesn't carry a digital camera.
You have to understand, this is really not a big deal to him. As he said, "it's just a fish, we cleaned it, ate it, and it was delicious."
Thanks very much for the info, and please pass along our thanks to Pat. I'm shocked that it was "only" 61lbs (and I bet he was, too). Still...two 60-plus pounders in one year?? Not too shaby. I wonder if anyone else on the East Coast has landed two 60-plus pounders this year (or ever)?

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
There has been a lot of big fish caught this year, a 57" isn't unbelievable at all. Im actually surprised there were no state or world records caught this year

1 - 20 of 24 Posts