Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals, Does anyone have any current data on the water level around the northern neck ? In the past couple years we have been gettin what we called "the winter level". The pond we fish from is located around vir mar beach and is not very deep. In the winter the water level seems to get so low we can not get in an out of our pond at or near low tide. My question is anyone been down in that area and noticed the water level being lower ? Thanks Garry

·
Registered
21 Posts
water level

water level has been up and down. it goes with the wind.(i think) it looks to be down ,now.
i'm on the little river in ophelia.

don p

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yep, its the wind. South west wind makes the water level in the lower Chesapeake go down (for instance lower than usual tides yesterday and today). North east wind makes it go up (for instance higher tides during a nor'easter). You can get an idea of the current state of things by looking at NOAAs real time water level observations. They can be found at the following site (and a few others):

Water Level Station Monitoring

On this site, select east as region of interest and then scroll down to the tide station nearest you. On the plot of water level, green is the residual (observed - predicted). If the residual is greater that 0 you can expect higher than normal tides. If less than 0, lower than normal. Hope that helps.

P.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link and input. I'm aware that wind can blow water out of the pond, but did anyone notice the water level dropping about a foot for the entire winter the last couple of years. Say from about Dec. to about Mar.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Thanks for the link and input. I'm aware that wind can blow water out of the pond, but did anyone notice the water level dropping about a foot for the entire winter the last couple of years. Say from about Dec. to about Mar.
Think that is usual for any winter. It has something to do with the sun/moon phases, and probably more to do with the distance from the sun in the winter time -the Southern hemisphere is closer, therefore water will 'go' down there.

That's my reasoning. I'm not an expert on all of the astrophysics thats involved in the tides.

jay

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have closely watched Windmill Point tides since 02. My dock water is fairly skinny so I constantly have to play the tides. Winter tides are always lower than summer with October full moon being the highest (natural)of the year. Feb-Mar are the lowest. Month/Moon phase provides a baseline but winds have a very significant influence and some of it doesn't seem logical. Strong west winds will blow west bay water to the eastern shore and vice a versa. Easy. And you would expect that N/NE winds would blow the water out/down bay but it gets backed up at the mouth and will usually result in higher tides up to mid-bay. North bay will typically be lower but not always. South winds will usually push tides up but don't influence as strongly due to milder wind events. Hurricanes...throw the whole thing out the window. Track is everything and of course the rotational winds. I have noticed an increase in S/SW wind events over the past year or so and depending on your pond's flow that may influence?? WRT historical data check out the sea level trends for VA, link below...fluctuation yes but we are definitely not losing H20. Have attached a couple of other useful tide sites. Last one won't show anything unless there is a hurricane. Have fun

Tides and Currents Data Products

CO-OPS Storm Surge Live Web Site

Experimental Tropical Cyclone Storm Surge Probabilities

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have only ben in the area for 1.5 years but the tide was definatly lower last winter than any time in the other seasons. Yes wind and moon phase have an effect but given the same conditions the tides run lower in the winter. I'm in a creek just up river from you and the lower tides have sarted but I still haven't seen them as low as last Jan/Feb.

Randy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Water Level in Flag Pond

Garry, I'm going to try and get out the next two weekends most likely and will probably be down by Thursday night in both cases, so if you want a water level update on the pond feel free to call the cell and I will tell you what I see out there. We've got a couple days of NW winds blowing water out this week but the full moon is coming, which should drag in a larger range of fluctuation in water level.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Miss Fitz....we were down this weekend and water was low,low,low....We trailered to lewisetta and put in. Probably won't fish outta the pond any more till spring. Good luck with that water.We were down couple weeks ago and ran aground twice, once at the mouth of the inlet and again at the dock . tried to call you couple of weeks ago when we were down. Saw What i hope was you pull in the driveway and seemed like it took to long for you to get in the house. Maybe just a little quick on the trigger. Good luck catch some fishes....

·
Registered
14 Posts
You're a good man Garry...that was the wife making her way through the new deadbolts for the first time. I gave up early that weekend for some duck and goose hunting but I did see you called and thank you for it.

Here's hoping the south wind pushes some water back in, and the moon keeps it there....I want to get one more trip in before I come off the lift and call it a season myself. Time to make a list of all this year's broken stuff and start ordering new bits! I'll be in drydock until the spring opener.

Good luck going out of VB.

PatO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts