Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Earlier in the week, Greg Buckner called me and asked if I was available to work this weekend on the Miss Susie. Seeing as he called me, I knew he must have been desperate. Unforunately I had to work at my real job on Saturday but I was available Sunday. As the time got closer, I was not very happy with the weather reports.

I was even dreading fishing in the slop on the ride down, but, I didn't show it, and as I heard the start of the truly mighty diesel, I changed my attitude a little and actually got a smile on my face. We headed out in the bay and I was again amazed at how well that boat rides in the slop. Everyone was sitting comftorably drinking coffee, and eating as the boat just had a slow roll to it and some occasional spray on the windows. With the back door closed some people had to go down to their t-shirts. I was looking at the waves imaginign how cold and wet I would be on my center console.

Anyway, as we got close to the fishing destination (the channel a little south of Solomons) I had the guys hand me all the rods and Greg and I began working together to put out a huge 27 rod spread. Before we could even get one side out, the first rod goes down. Then another, then another. Greg had to drive the boat because of the waves, but, I managed to do OK getting the rods back out at the same time fish were coming in.

We only had a four man crew today, but we had our limit of fish by 7:15 am, which is impressive considering we didn't leave the dock until 6:15. I am talking in a matter of less than fifteen minutes of trolling our limit was in the boat.

With Greg circling the meat and me throwing rods back out we had a steady pluck of fish, most of them coming over the rail two at a time. Around 10:30 the guys had enough. They pretty much said they were ready to go back in because their arms hurt so much. Much earlier, I lost count at 15 fish, although I know we got at least 4 over 40", three of which we threw back healthy. The biggest fish today was a 47" GIANT. We caught two just reeling the stuff in.

Being in a big boat like the Miss Susie spoils me quickly. On a day that would have been a challenge to even stand up on most center consoles and other boats under 30 feet, the Miss Susie just bobbed slowly back and forth through the waves. The crew was happy, warm, dry, and I felt like I could have run a marathon on the back of the boat it was so stable. On my boat I am frequently seen in a hat and gloves. I didn't even need a coat on that boat. When I got a little cold I just ran to the cabin real quick. God, I love being on big boats. I will own one some day when I am rich and famous. Maybe Greg will sell me the Miss Susie!

Anyway, we took some pictures but we didn't have much time to pose for, we always had a fish on that needed attention.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Nice bunch of fish there. It looked pretty sloppy, Id say way to tough it out, but you described it as a dream:D.

·
Premium Member
26,107 Posts
No doubt a bay built can handle the chop :yes:.If only I could trailer one :D.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Nice job guys! Capt Greg and the Miss Susie is the best striper trolling charter on the bay in my opinion.

Paul

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
6,372 Posts
Nice report Francis. I went over the Rt 4 bridge at 8 and saw only 2 boats and both were over 40'.Went to the boat and worked on tackle ,the Grady could have handled it BUT I was alone and was being cautious.Nice fish.
'm guessing you ran downsea w/the boards out in that slop?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah guys I can honestly say I am glad I was NOT in a center console today.

David-Greg has GIANT boards. They are something like 50" long. They will run in 5-6 footers all day long. It's nothing but amazing.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Nice report Francis. Hope those boys realized how lucky they were today and fe$$ed up for you. That looks like one big dude in the white jacket and that fish still looks HUGE.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Wow. Hard to believe you had a day like that. There was no way most of us would even think about venturing out. Good to know that there are a bunch of fish around.....................Mark

·
Registered
102 Posts
A great day indeed!

We fished close to you guys... Wow, what a day it was!! The boards were the trick for us, we caught on both the boards and wwwb.

At one point, we boated 4 fish right around 40" in 11 minutes! We even had a under of two.

But when the tide started flooding against that little breeze we had, the waves stood straight up!

Captain Chris

·
Registered
41 Posts
great morning

We left the Beacon Light Marina, with Mike, Joe, and Scott on the 50' MYHALF,@ 0630am. We gallloped towards the gas docks, close to the coast for some protection from the breeze. Wow, 1st fish caught by a 1st time ever newby, a beautifull 50 1/2 , 46 lb trophy.There for 3 in the first attack, the 50, and 2 -43". A short break a two more gorgeous trophy's, and @ 9:00 the sixth one @ 41". Awsome, great crew, great boat, good party.

Capt Gary

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah it was a wide open bite out there yesterday. There were some giants caught there. What a great fall!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Awesome report Francis. Nice pics. I hope to get out on the Miss Susie one of these days.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
--YEP, Francis --She's a Robbins A sistership to mine --Built one boat after the Stormy Petrel --Went on the Maiden Charter she made , At the Time Capt. George Willing was at her Wheel --The Catch that day was Sea Trout up to 16#'s --They wouldn't take soft Crabs , So George broke out the 18 Silver & White Tony's --They Bit Them !!!--Wha Hoo --geo.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
George,
There are slicker more expensive boat out there for sure, but, that Robbins is close to the water line and as stable as can be.

Two years ago, Greg swapped out twins and put in a single diesel to open up the deck with only one motor box. You should see it. It's a lot easier to fish now.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
-Francis--"The Sun never sets on the Bertram & Robbins Empire " well in Maryland anyways Robbins is best in my book for ease of cockpit control & Running the first one or two crab lines from shore to gain 2 knots , with the Depth meter off --

·
Registered
955 Posts
We fished close to you guys... Wow, what a day it was!! The boards were the trick for us, we caught on both the boards and wwwb.

At one point, we boated 4 fish right around 40" in 11 minutes! We even had a under of two.

But when the tide started flooding against that little breeze we had, the waves stood straight up!

Captain Chris
Hey Chris, Saw ya'll pull up to the gas pumps Saturday afternoon. We're you guys in the tournament? Tom

1 - 19 of 19 Posts