Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like the family is making a trip down to a new foreign place. I mentioned Islamorada, Cape Charles, San Diego, Pulaski, nY, Canada, Eureka but someone has a conference and it's partially paid for so.... I know I shouldn't complain it's just I don't know how to fish new places and I only get 2.5 weeks off a year. I sound a little selfish uh?

I need to find fishing info. Specifically light tackle / fly fishing from shore/kayak. I've heard people rent small boats in the bay but not sure what's there. I'd really like to do some "RUNNING DOWN THE MAN" (fly fishing film about chasing rooster fish by foot on the beach) but I'm pretty sure I'll need calm water like found in the Sea of Cortez. Are there Rooster fish that far south? I don't see why not. Lady fish atleast?

I'm making the trip around Memorial Day. I've heard some good things about offshore species like marlin and tuna. I'd be happy with a bunch of Bonita and a 10wt but I'd probably need a guide who would be content with doing that.

I wonder if those rental skiffs come with depth finders. Thanks for any info; I'll report upon my return.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
3,364 Posts
Be careful down there. Drug gangs are rampant in town down there. Shooting people. The tourist trade has dropped off big time. I fished out of there in 03, we caught some sails, but I had a hispanic co-worker down there with us, so he hooked us up. As I recall, there are two marinas. Not to our standard of up-keep. I'd go through the hotel to book. Probably the safest way, not the cheapest. I recommend safest.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
I went with my family to Acapulco at Christmas last year, and it's not for the faint of heart. I've been to other places in Mexico a dozen times, and I've travelled all over the world - including the third world - and I'll tell you that Acapulco is not the vacation paradise it once was. Yes, the scenery and the water were beautiful, but the place was dirty, run down, and crowded. The amount of plastic trash and dog filth everywhere continued to disappoint me throughout the week. Also, it has now primarily become a vacation destination for Mexican nationals (all of Mexico City seemed to be in Acapulco for Christmas - many of them staying on buses parked throughout town), so there wasn't as much of a focus on English language skills as I've seen in other Mexican vacation destinations.

Now for the good news ! Charters are cheap as dirt down there. I booked a 31 Bertram through a broker for a full day for $250 including tip, and later found out I had overpaid. We ended up getting some Skipjacks and Bonito - never saw a sail. Another guest at our hotel paid $160 for a full day on a 23' center console, and ended up getting two sailfish. That guy took the bus (very cheap, seemingly safe way to get around town) to the docks and arranged the boat with the captain. I'd imagine that those guys would do whatever kind of day you want.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts