Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
It may be time for a class action suit. Anyone who paid recreational licensing fees, if they indeed did get illegally misappropriated has a right to have that portion returned.

I know this would not improve the funding situation for now, but the future may hold greater accountability. What thinks ye attorney types?

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
Are you really surprised?

The legislators wrote a law and now it had to be implemented. The administrators got the first part implemented (i.e. fee increases in the license system). No one paid attention to the funds tracking or reporting part of the legislation. Then the administrators were off to implementing some other legislation they were getting pressure to implement. Once the funds hit the general treasury who knows where they go.

They provided exactly what they had in response to the PIA request - "nothing".

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Perhaps we should all begin emailing and writing DNR requesting the same information. I'm getting started now.

·
Premium Member
26,108 Posts
Take a good look at the names involved with the license fee increase - some sit on the commission to this day.

I remember that fee increase being a last minute " deal ". Be nice to see a full audit of how DNR spends it's money.

One year they cry poor and shut down the air unit ( $ 130,000.00 yr +/- ) that really helped catch poachers.

Then they spend over $100,000.00 to get Md seafood certified as substainable - by a company that is questionable. They do have a nice logo though.

Some thing just does not add up there.

I know one thing - they could sure save some money turning off lights at Rowe Blvd building. Driven by there late at night and seems every light on all the floors is on. Not like it's open 24 hours.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Big problem: due to the huge (3.2 million) shortfall as a result of insufficient commercial fees (they pay 20% or what they need), DNR doesn't even plan to maintain the status quo. According to their website, they plan to cut programs beneficial to conservation and recreational fishing including science and assessment, fishing access, regulation and legislation, enforcement, restoration, hatcheries, user conflict resolution, water quality monitoring, habitat protection, and that's only about half. Regardless of the return, recreational anglers stepped up when they were asked. Commercial anglers have not. They don't pay their bills, we pay the price. That's not right.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Us out of State guys pay even more dearly, we have no say in how the funds are spent.
We just expect to pay more and more for less and less.....
That's what's "sad" to me !
All the for hire( or Bribe) experts keep telling us that it's polution, it's changing ecosystem, it's excess run-off,etc.,etc.
Why does it take an expert to tell anyone that if you take less, you have more left?!!
I'm perfectly happy to come down, have some pullage and go home with nothing but ice in the cooler,yet others aren't happy unless they have meat to take back to the tribe.
Maybe it's primal, maybe it's "look -at- me", maybe it's greed, but all the bean counters in the bay aren't going to put back fish(and oysters ) that shouldn't be taken in the first place !
Wen

·
Registered
148 Posts
Here is the link to DNR 2011 Budget.

http://spending.dbm.maryland.gov/#1

I am sure there is a logical explanation for the 77k for soda and ice cream.....

2011 PEPSI COLA COMPANY 60675 DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES $31,609.01
COCA-COLA REFRESHMENTS 21279 DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES $8,143.54
COCA-COLA REFRESHMENTS 30384 DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES $20,190.90
HERSHEY CREAMERY CO 21629 DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES $17,424.77

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Here is the link to DNR 2011 Budget.

http://spending.dbm.maryland.gov/#1

I am sure there is a logical explanation for the 77k for soda and ice cream.....

2011 PEPSI COLA COMPANY 60675 DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES $31,609.01
COCA-COLA REFRESHMENTS 21279 DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES $8,143.54
COCA-COLA REFRESHMENTS 30384 DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES $20,190.90
HERSHEY CREAMERY CO 21629 DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES $17,424.77
They drink Coke AND Pepsi?!......We gotta get to the bottom of this...

G

·
Mr Ziggy,

Thank you for the link, the spending is very interesting. Some other interesting line items.

2011 FISHER LAW GROUP PLLC 20772 DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES $1,456,463.00
Wish I was a lawyer partner at this firm.

ENVIRONMENTAL DEFENSE FUND 10010 DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES $325,545.00
Is this recreational money or commercial money being used? What is the break down?

2011 GARRETT COUNTY COMMISSIONERS 21550 DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES $313,331.86
Who gets this money?

2011 CCA MD (STATE HQ OFFICE) 21401 DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES $262,500.00
What is this?

2011 TYDEN BROOKS 60693 DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES $254,339.30
Tags? Is is was any recreational money being used to pay for this?

2011 CHESAPEAKE BAY COMMISSION 21401 DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES $225,000.00
For?

2011 DORCHESTER COUNTY COMMISSIONERS 21613 DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES $203,669.28
For what?

2011 JAMES F PERDUE 20751 DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES $74,434.62
Support Maryland chicken?

2011 RICHARD B OBERST 21671 DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES $66,817.80
Appears to be a Commercial waterman from Tilghman Island

2011 JOHN F MACIELAG 21661 DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES $63,603.79
Appears to be a wealth Management Advisor from Easton, MD.

2011 SCHMIDT BAKING CO INC 21901 DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES $4,668.22
Good treats

2011 CLOVERLAND/GREEN SPRING DAIRY 21218 DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES $3,152.84
Cream?

2011 UTZ QUALITY FOODS INC 17331 DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES $2,708.66
Snacks

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
It's just like the flush tax, social security and who knows what other programs and taxes are misappropriated............Gary

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
This is happening in every state. It’s the result of a poor economy on top of years of federal tax cuts.

When the federal government cut taxes they just reduce the monies given to the states. Did you really think you were going to pay less in taxes? The federal government is borrowing money from China and then giving that money to other foreign governments so the states which have their funding cut by the feds are looking for new taxes or user fees. Some states have been selling their highway systems, airports and mass transit systems to foreign businesses.

Welcome to the third world

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I'm not taking a position on the accountability issue as Ken raises it, and lord knows I've done my share of criticizing DNR, but I would like to point out that this current department has made, and is making a lot more progress than those of the past. Baby steps they are, but nevertheless steps in the right direction. It's easy to sit back and critizice line items in someone's budget when you don't know what they're for. That's not saying they don't owe Maryland accountability for how they spend, but we need to recognize the positive moves they have made and are making (such as steps toward cost recovery and advances in aquaculture) as well. My criticism is tempered because it could be a lot worse.

G

·
Dear Mr. Kimbro

The "it could be worse" reasoning is not a good reason not to support an issue where an agency broke the law. We could sit around and sing kumbaya together celebrating that a lot of things could be worse. Is this DNR better then past ones one could argue yes. Super, but as Mr. Hastings points out, this law has been in effect for many years and the commitment not fulfilled. There are no excuses. MD DNR got increased revenue which it needed and let the recreational fishing community down. I am not sure about any conspiracy issues in hiding funds, but MD DNR completely let recs down. If you are a rec angler on the outside how can we be expected to really trust the department???????

Who is watching out for rec anglers and our money???????????
Why didn't the head of DNR know this law and make sure commitments followed through, especially when it was law?
Why did not the head of fisheries know this law?
Why didn't the Chairman of the Sport Fishing Advisory Commission know the law and hold DNR to the commitment?

All these people holding "high" and some paid positions and it took a concerned volunteer recreational fisherman to bring it to people's attention. What would happened if he did not bring it up now? How much longer would recs be in the dark?

This is a very real problem and let down of the rec public trust.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts