Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found any acorns? I hunted a cut-over bordering mature oaks (white and red) and during the entire afternoon I didn't hear any falling.

Ranger said he found 1 red oak dropping some, just curious if anyone else has.

While I am at it, can someone please tell me what conditions determine a good mast crop, does a late frost in the sping do them in, or, does the dry weather impact thier growth?

Thanks in advance,
HV

·
Registered
155 Posts
Where I hunt in Amherst county and here on my farm (Augusta county) the red oak and a few white oak trees are full and have been falling for three weeks. These cold nights will harden them up and alot more will be falling. I don't see the amount that has been produce the past two years, but that will make for easier patterning b/c they aren't everywhere. The bears on my farm left the corn alone a couple weeks ago b/c there was so many falling. I have one big red oak in a open wheat field that had 10 different deer stop under it on their way from the corn field before 8:30am yesterday. good luck

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have never been able to figure out what condition makes an oak produce alot of acorns or if our deer even care about the oaks, hickories, beech, etc. as they have plenty of corn, soybeans, and wheat (grass) ....it is always in there gut not acorns.

Also our oaks never seem to litter the floor with acorns like I have seen other places......the only oaks that do are the tiny (Jack Oaks?) acorn ones that are on the edge of the woods.

Either way they got to eat something and you have to be in the woods.

Mark

·
Registered
184 Posts
Howard, Where i hunted in the enon area yesterday the squrrels were hiding acorns to beat the band. I didnt hear any fall because it was to warm. From what i've heard late frost and dry weather both will hurt the acorn crop. Trees in my yard are loaded and have been droping about a week.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Haven't seen hardly any in Chestefield or Surry.
I think it's a year to hunt the fields.
When it's plenty of acorns I do good around oak trees but I don't think it's going to be many this year.I usally see them in my driveway under a big white oak by now, but not this year,not a one.I saw a few around a red oak but deer seem to like white oaks better.
I'll be hunting around fields in the evenings instead of oaks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I hunted Highland co this weekend and there were acorns as big as ping pong balls falling every everywhere. They hurt too!!!

And the deer were cleaning up on them. The one buck I ended up shooting was really fat. Fat from one end of the arrow to the other.

·
Registered
887 Posts
This year there is a below average acorn crop in Charles City County area. I only heard a few fall saturday evening. The weather may not have much to do with acorn production. The tree just can not put out a heavy crop every year. Do a search on the internet and study acorns. I heard that you can fertilize the trees in the spring to increase production and sweeten the flavor. I may try it next spring. You need to target trees that are heavy procucers to start with. White oaks drop acrorns before red oaks. -Kepone

·
Registered
471 Posts
Was perched up about 15 yards from 3 white oaks tonight and it sounded as if they where dropping bombs, turkey and deer have been underneath them tearing up the ground.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Was perched up about 15 yards from 3 white oaks tonight and it sounded as if they where dropping bombs, turkey and deer have been underneath them tearing up the ground.

·
Registered
99 Posts
In Sutherland I have found only 2 trees that have acorns that you can see on over 150 acres of scouting. While in my stand yesterday I heard a few droping, the woods look like turkeys have been tearing it up looking but there are no turkeys in this block. It's so dry the grass is dead, the only thing I have seen the deer eating which I witnessed is lespodeza. I thank there are some acorns on some more of the white oaks but until we get a frost or a hard rain with some wind it's going to take squirrels to knock them down. Hunt where the squirrels are. Scored on a nice doe yesterday with my new Ten Point, and she was fat as a beef cow!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The Oaks around the plot we hunted today have very few acorns.

Slade the cheater was not meant for you but a joke for the corn pile guy.

DEAN

·
Registered
142 Posts
Personally, I prefer a poor mast crop. It keeps the deer moving towards the areas where there is food. Otherwise, the deer just eat and bed without moving. That is the life I guess.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts