Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the kids to fish from my favorite upper-River shore this afternoon. My 3-year-old learned to cast a spinning reel.:thumbup: Then he and my 7-year-old found that racing each other while rolling down a hill was more fun, leaving me to do the fishing.

I cast for almost two hours, which was mostly very slow, but one 30-minute stretch saw five hook-ups and losses (one after a nice leap from the water), 3 Pickerel landed (all very fat....measured the largest at 21.25":))), and one Yellow Ned at 10." I probably didn't have a cast in that stretch without a hook-up. All landed Pickerel hit a minnow on a spinner. I finally figured out why the others got away. The hook on my shad-tail B.A. had broken just after the barb, leaving me with just a u-shaped wire.:eek: Ah well. At least I know that out winter pattern is starting to set in nicely for fishing season part IV.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Nice work Goose. :thumbup:

Shallow water?

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Jeff -

I'm glad you got some pickerel and yellow perch today. I fished for about an hour and a half in outer Weems Creek, at the submerged pilings of the old railroad bridge near Manresa, and around the cove just upstream from Manresa. I did not get even a single hit. I also did not see any obvious fish marks on the fishfinder other than a few small bait clouds.

I was using a 3/8 oz chartreuse jighead with a chartreuse and blue Cocahoe minnow (paddle tail). Later I switched to a small Rattletrap. Either the fish weren't there or they were not interested in those baits when I presented them.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Yes...a 3-4-foot flat. No structure that I could see.
Goose,did that rain mess it up? Remember our past thread, and, has it cleared with these latest winds?

Check that, I was up your way today (not your spots, but up your way), and the water had about a 2-4 visibilty range. Went down to Round Bay and beyond and the visibility was 5-7.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great. That's about what I saw....the rain didn't seem to mess it up. Judging by what we're seeing so far, I'd say that we're in for a good Pickerel season. Now if I could only find some large golden shiners to live-line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts