Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering moving my boat to Smith Pt. Marina for a few weeks in hopes of bluefish, Spanish macks, and (in MD. waters) rockfish action. Haven't heard any reports from that area. Any info appreciated.
Creekster

·
Registered
3 Posts
Caught 8 Spanish mixed in with a few blues within casting distance of Smith Point lighthouse. Trolling about 6 - 7.5 knots. Really all colors worked about the same on 1 and 2 planners. Had two Clark spoons break the hook right at the screw, I know I have seen a few reports on here somewhere. One of these spoons came right out of the package so i am not sure if they have solved the problem or not, any better alternatives.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you do know, let me know!

I am going to give the big red drum a try later this week. Wondering if they have made it this far up the bay yet.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Clark Spoon hooks are the worst. They know about the issue and in my opinion have done nothing noticeable to improve them. I have learned to never use them for more than one season without swapping the hooks out. I haven't had any issues with them fresh out of the pack, yet.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Clark Spoon hooks are the worst. They know about the issue and in my opinion have done nothing noticeable to improve them. I have learned to never use them for more than one season without swapping the hooks out. I haven't had any issues with them fresh out of the pack, yet.
x2

I simply buy new spoons every season

·
Registered
597 Posts
Even if you write Clark about the spoons, all they do is send you more hooks. Maybe if enough of us call them and explain the problem with the hooks ... they might change them. I lost a good fish near the SPL ... and it was NO spanish or blue ... was in about 25 ft with #2 planer. I believe it was a big red drum.
My solution as of late ... is to use some "lock tite" on the tiny screw that holds the hook. Seems to be working so far. Haven't lost any hooks lately with the blues ... well except for bite offs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts