Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Flounder -r- Fluky
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any and all advice would be great........ 2yr old boat, good clean tank as far as I know, running Suzuki 4stroke...............I have a 102gal tank w/ 33gals left in it.......... I've heard some say to drain all the gas I've been using before adding E10 and stabilizer and some say I can mix what is left...... does anyone know EXACTLY what to do ????

·
Registered
500 Posts
First, build a large fire and gather necesary animals for sacrifice. :devil2:

I didn't have any problems switching to e-10 in the tank of a whaler when it still had 1/2 tank or more of the old stuff. (60 gal tank)
That said, i've since been told that the best way to do it is to run the tank as low as possible before filling up with e-10. This is supposed to minimize the potential problems from the mixing of ethanol and mtbe.

:goodluck2:

·
Registered
657 Posts
Ethanol is a solvent that can clean corrosion, oxidation and deposits from parts it touches thought the distribution process. It will clean out the gum, and varnish that may have accumulated throughout the fuel system. Ethanol attracts and absorbs moisture. Phase separation is a added concern with ethanol based fuels. Ethanol will separate from gasoline, when enough moisture has entered the fuel system. When separation occurs, ethanol will mix with the water. The ethanol water mix will then settle on the bottom of the fuel tank. This mixture will damage VST’s, fuel, pumps, and clog filters.
Stick with the same source of fuel.
Ethanol does not mix well (co-mingle) with MTBE and certain additive packages in fuel.
Co-mingling fuels results in a grayish white paste that covers filter mesh, and clogs filters.
Ethanol adds 2 points to the fuel octane, and has a lower BTU factor than gasoline.
Make sure that the fuel stabilizer you are using is compatible with ethanol based fuels.
10micron fuel filters are recommended for marine environments and ethanol fuel.
Keep you gas tank full.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Another note of caution when using E10 for first time: according to Boat U.S. E10 gas in older boats will cause leaks in fuel hoses that were not made to new standards and marked UCSG A1. They recommend replacing hoses older than 10 yrs.(hoses are marked with date of mfg.) Also check for leaking hoses at connections when switching to E10. Better safe than sorry!:eek:

·
Registered
507 Posts
No worries - Suzuki's have been E-10 complient for years, and a 2 year old fuel tank/system should be just fine. You can add Startron if it makes you feel better, but you're gold.

·
Registered
173 Posts
E10 fuel

I was talkin to a gas supplier the other day and he told me all md fuels are e10 and the gas station does not haft to post it on the pump in md sayin its e10 because md does not require it nor is it a state law.............anyone know if this is true which im thinkin it is because a gas supplier told me this who has been in the buissness for may years.

·
Registered
198 Posts
many people have gotten away with mixing the old fuel and e-10. Having seen the results of what can happen with e-10 and MTBE fuel mixed, I would not take the chance. It's not worth taking a chance of something happening when it can be avoided. Run the old gas out as low as possible before adding e-10. If you have an external water separating filter, change it when the switch is made and change it more often. 10 micron seems to be the accepted industry standard for dealing with e-10. Finally, Startron seems to be a real good product for e-10 and will provide a little insurance against phase separation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts