Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow TidalFisher heading South from Virginia with his South Carolina girlfriend to visit Hunting Island. Staying there most of a week in a cabin. Not bringing the boat but certainly bringing some fishing rods. Wondering if the island offers any decent shore fishing during mid-July?

Should I be casting jigs/spoons with my light weight tackle or surf fishing with surf rods? Ocean or sound side?

Is there a bait shop on the island? I am proficient in throwing a large castnet.

Thanks for an info!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Awesome place... Never fished it, but I always see folks fishing the Hwy 21 bridge over the Harbor River inlet. Probably live bait or dead shrimp, I'd guess. Might even find luck on the way over to Fripp Island. Lot's of inlets there. It's all salt marsh. Always best to hit the outgoing tide. Wish I could help more... Very interested in what you find out--let us know.

Not sure, but you might be able to wade some of it at high tide. Bring your sand-gnat spray...

·
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lowcountry -

I'm getting a little discouraged....I have been searching far and wide and don't see any information people have posted about fishing Hunting Island. I know it has a pier, boat ramp, lagoon and ocean beach but nobody has posted any reports or anything I can find. I have a shout out on a Carolina board elsewhere and still not finding any anglers familiar with it. Guess I'll have to bring the entire arsenal! Some guy did mention sharks (not sure if from the pier or what) but it seemed rather vague secondhand info.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry about the dead air out there. There are more fertile areas (or at least more popular), so that's probably the reason you can't find any info--as you know, it is also WAY out there.

The only other source I can think of would be the IFA. They run a tourney out of Beaufort once a year (September). Maybe hop on their website and try to get a contact?

Of course, you can't go wrong with a gold spoon (1/4-1/2 oz), poping cork and grub if you just want to try it all. I don't surf fish, but I know guys who pick up Pompano and sharks on dropper rigs near Charleston. Pompano on sand fleas... not sure what sharks eat--probably anything bleeding.

Either way, sounds like you'll be the regional expert when you get back. Look forward to hearing about it.

·
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, probably going to have to figure it all out on my own. This often times results in very slow fishing for the first few days, then it is time to leave just as you find something that works. I'm not going to be there a full week either.

What is IFA? I'll check that out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.