Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing a DLSR camera, a relative has recommend the Nikon D80 with the 18 - 135mm lense. I can get this online for $799. with a 2gb memory card. I want to keep the price under $800 as that really is the top end of my range. Anybody have this camera, any recommedation on and alternative one?

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Right now is a good time to get a good deal on the "second" line models of both Nikons and Canon cameras. I recently got a deal on a Canon Xsi that made me happy. Nikon and Canon remain the top choices but the old Minolta line, now Sony are good cameras.

Current deals include two lenses, a bag and a 2-4 gig card. Top of the line is nice, but the step downs are more than most "nonprofessionals" need to satisfy their whims.

Review your options and make your best choice. I made mine for my reasons. Make yours suite your needs, but you can easily do it under a thousand now.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I had a d70 for a couple of years ago and it worked great, I would assume that the D80 is a step up. There is no going wrong with a nikon, I have found that the lenses are what makes the difference. An nikon 18-135 is a good overall zoom lens.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I looked at the Nikon D80 and D60 models - ended up buying the D60 with Nikon 2 lens kit (18-55 and 55-200) back in Sept. - - $700 for everything. Just could not justify the difference in cost for the D80 given the specs (same resolution, same image sensor). Body on the D60 is a little smaller than the D80 which I find nice for carrying around, too.

I've probably taken 1,500 pictures in the past 3 months and am very happy with the results.

Now if I had waited a couple of months and had a several hundred $$ more to put into it - I would have gotten the D90 - 12MP, LiveView, Movie Mode - nice camera :D

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Made my decision and purchased the D80 with 18-135mm lens. Ended up paying $700 through ritzcamera.com. In addition this week they added a free 18-200mm lens to the package so I called and had them send me that lens, now it is not a very good lens but probably a $160 value for free.

·
Registered
236 Posts
You will be happy with the Nikon D80. I have had mine about a year and really enjoy it.
Couple of suggestions -
1. buy a 50mm f1.8 lens. It's around $100 and will give you incredible low light capability--something that is not too great with the 18-135mm lens. Wish they had made it a little better construction and added VRII . It would be a much better lens . The newer 18-105VRII looks good but I have not tried one.
2. Add an SB600 external flash to your wish list. The flip up flash is OK but adding an external flash makes a huge difference.

Enjoy you new toy and let us see some photos soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts