Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning to try some eeling around OC this Friday, weather permitting. I have only used eels a few time, mostly on the bottom with a three way but once tried using ballons. The ballon got hung up when I retrieved my line and had to cut it off so not sure if I'll try that again. So, I'm wondering what the preferred method around OC is. Bottom, top with baloons or floats or free swim? Or, should we try all three? Also, in the past I've kept the eels on ice until I hook 'em so they are someone lathargic and easier to handle. Any other thoughts on that? Finally, what size hooks do you prefer? I have some #8 Gama circles that I use in the surf but am wondering if they are too big for eels? Any comments appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hey... local fisherman down there. make sure you take a cooler full of ice and put your eels in the ice so they do not tangle your line. fish finder with a two ounce sinker is wat you need.... let me know how you do.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
I don't use anything bigger than a 5/0 hook . Try a little bit out off the south jetty . The Get Sum got their limit in short order last Thursday with live spot there . Don't be afraid to try the bay proper either , especially the bridge area and way down behind Assateague near the Verrazano Bridge . The thorofare area has been producing linesiders as well . I'll be togging tomorrow and might try for rockfish as well . I'll post a report tomorrow night .

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mike for the help. Let us know how you do. I've been getting the impression that this 3 week cold snap is pushing the fish out of the bay and further out into the ocean. I think that is typical for an extended westerly blow but I've heard there are still fish north of us that perhaps will move into the bay. Good luck tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Got out today for a few hours. Went to Little Gull and it looked more like a parking lot. Thought I could locate some gannets so I rode and rode and then rode some more. 55 miles in all. Saw alot of gannets but non working the water. Nothing for my efforts today...probably should have stayed at Little Gull.
View attachment 13390

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
thanks for the report anyway. And the pic adds to the imagination too. Hey, at least you were out!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TerpHeels....Thanks for the reply. You would laugh if you saw what I'm fishing out of....a 1999 20ft Chapparral....so no radar. It gets me out there though. It doesn't help when you forget the binoculars like I did.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
6/O Gamakatsu Octopus Cirlce hooks............... 4ft of 40# Fluorocarbon attached w/ small spro and some 1/4 oz egss above the spro w/ a bead for knot protection. Use bobbers w/ stops and set at varying depths. Free lines w/ no weight work well too, set out about 60-80ft.

·
Registered
107 Posts
let us hear how you do. we fish OC with eels after hunting season and do pretty good on the rocks.have to watch out for the big boats they wont give you a room in a little boat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts