Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My inlaws are investigating retirement property in the Pamlico sound region. I would appreciate any suggestions regarding cities or communities and general fishing and boating in the area, especially New Bern and Oriental.
How would my 19 ft center console Scout fish the area?

Thanks,
AH

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've been going to Oriental for years and am much more familiar with it than New Bern, but I think you are picking between a more suburban community (New Bern) and a more rural town in Oriental. A lot may depend on how far they want to be from morden day conviences such as drug stores, grocery stores, etc.
Oriental is a great place if you don't mind traveling for some things. Currently, I think there are only two gas stations and one grocery store in town. There is a great boat ramp in town with fishing opportunities just about all year long.

Your Scout would be a nice choice for the area. My friend guides out of a 19' Cobia. There are lots of opportunities for casting for trout, drum, and flounder or you can troll for spanish and blues.
The Red Drum and Tarpon bites during the summer can also make things interesting.

You will have to pick you days somewhat as the river can get snotty on some days, but I think you would have a lot of fun in that boat fishing out of Oriental.

·
Registered
915 Posts
your folks might even want to go a little further south to the Morehead or Beaufort area.I have a friend who lives down there and it seems to be really nice.the fishing is also good and your boat would be perfect.good luck. mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts