Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:rockingreport: Got to PLO before light on Saturday 11/1 to find the wind howling out of the NW at 15+, so much for the 5-10 mph forecast. Drove to the loop and waited for dawn to see the wave action, piling up pretty good...Plan A of trolling and jigging solo in the Potomac out the window. Plan B in effect, dirve to and launch at Drury's to try the St Jerome's Creek outgoing bite. That was not working either for me or the other five or so boats, so after a half hour and breaking off a jig on the bottom I heaed toward the Pt No Pt lighthouse area to some working birds and a handful of boats. these birds were not locked on to a spot for very long, and there were no visible fish on the surface, and not much on the graph below other than an occasional bunch. Seems they were mostly on bait, and every now and then the fish would push the bait up high. By now it is getting around 8 AM and I still have a skunk, only have a kicthen pass until noon. Tick, tick tick, tick tick..................(Chris Berman highlight style:)))

I pulled out the binocs again and saw some bird action to the south a couple miles and only one other boat down there, so off I went. On the way it occurred to me that since the jigging was not working (most of what I saw on the FF was suspended fish, not easy to target jigging), I should put the trolling rods to work and cover some ground and cover the water depth where I saw most of the marks. So, with the winds laying down to around 10 mph and shelter from the lee of the land, I started to put out only four rods (all umbrellas with small shads) about 1/2 mile from the birds at around 8:30. For the next 2 hours I had a blast. With the first two rods in the water and the third in my hands, rod #1 went down and the action never really slowed. The first fish was 27 inches and went into the box. Fish #2 came a few minutes later just after I put #1 back out, and it was 24 inches so it went into the box for my limit. the rest of the time was fun C&R and I had several doubles, and one triples. At 10 AM I was sitting on 14 fish caught, just after the triple. I then put those three rods back out and made two short phone calls, one of them to the guy who was supposed to come along and backed out to tell him he made a BIG mistake. The other to my wife to let her know I was going to be back at noon as promised, with my limit in the cooler. The fish slowed for a couple minutes (I actually could use the break), I thought maybe the current was about to quit, but then I picked off three quick fish. I was getting pretty close to wrapping things up when I saw some bird activity to the north in line where I was headed back to St Jerome's, so I picked up the speed until about 100 yards away and when I went through the bait ball all four lines went down. As it turns out, two of the umbrellas were doubled up (both longer lines). So I got the short lines in first and out of the way, but by the time I got the last two coming in they had tangled up so I had to alternate reeeling them in, and hoisted a mess of fish and umbrellas into the boat. After releasing all four fish I knew I was done, so I stuffed the mess up in the storage locker on the foredeck, and headed in. As it turned out when I got back to the dock at a little after 11 AM, it was too shallow to recover the boat, so I had to tie the boat to the dock and come back at high tide at 4:30 PM to slide it onto the trailer. My total was 23 fish, all trolling, and with the drag lightly set on all four rods it was a blast hearing the drag clickers "ringing" for about two hours almost non-stop !!!

:rockon: :rockon:

LO:yes::yes:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OBTW, forgot to add a couple details. Fish were mostly in and around the 42 ft area on the western side of the channel, water temp was 57.5 degrees. All four umbrellas were 12 inch six prongs, all baits were Storm shads of various colors (they seemed to prefer the chartreuse ones a little more then the alewive pattern), and the rods were 55, 65, 115, and 125 ft back with weights from 24 down to 6 ozs. I had some nine inch umbrella set ups with me but the people I've talked to said the bigger fish were few and hard to target, so I stuck with the smaller stuff.

LO:yes::yes:

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
I remember seeing a Fishermans Alarm Clock that had a drag screaming as the alarm! That would wake me up!!:yes:

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I've got that ringtone on my cell phone. People who don't know look at me like I'm freakin crazy when they hear it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like you nailed -em. What was the trolling speed you found to be effective? I wasn't able to go out until Sunday late afternoon and hit the York.

-M

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mac,

Normally try for 3.5 mph for the smaller fish, sometimes get as high as 3.8 and still catch them good.

LO :yes::thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts